Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2014-11-16 16:48:15

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

rhine << >> rind

I stumbled upon this while investigating another word:

I would swallow my pride/ I would choke on the rhine/
music review

Here are a few examples of “rhine” for “rind”:

I gave the dogs a piece of watermelon rhine with some watermelon still left in the bottom and they were eating small chunks of the actual rhine.
mastiff discussion

is watermelon rhine poison to dogs
Q&A site

Watermelon green fondant color is the color of a watermelon rhine.
food catalog

Finding examples of the substitution from the other direction—“rind” for “rhine”—is complicated by the fact that there are at least a couple of rivers on the planet that are really named “Rind River”, but I did find at least one likely example referring to the well-known Rhine River in Europe:

Louis XIV-Versailes his goal was to gain land on eastern borders on rind river, used versailles to tighten control on nobility, and to excape mob
history flash cards

Eggcornicity is doubtful as I can’t think of any likely meaning-connection. Probably just a spelling error—but a common one, at least in the “rhine” for “rind” direction.

Board footer