Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2014-11-30 20:50:08

David Bird
Eggcornista

"Treacle treat!" for "Trick or treat!"

Arnold Zwicky’s blog has a new entry, suggested by Karen Schaffer, for trickle treating as an eggcorn for Hallowe’en trick or treating. That might make sense to a kid who thinks that the slow accumulation of loot comes in as a trickle. Here’s another variation that makes a different kind of sense:

But really could do with some advice/tips on the following: Party games – we are not going treacle treating and the party is from 5-7pm so will be dark.
Mum from Essex

#2 2014-11-30 22:14:05

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: "Treacle treat!" for "Trick or treat!"

I love it!

But how many of us still experience treacle directly and knowingly (by that name). If we don’t know the word, it’s a less compelling eggcorn. In other words, this probably makes more sense to word nerds like you’n’me, bro, than most potential perps.

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#3 2014-12-01 08:58:20

David Bird
Eggcornista

Haha, it’s true that I don’t know from treacle. Apparently it’s just molasses, when it’s not overly sweet narrative. (But how can I have any molasses when I haven’t had any lasses yet). I was performing an eggcorn projection, into the mind of an unsuspecting English perp. A fraught business, admittedly. They seem to be keeping treacle flowing over there, however, if recent pop songs are anything to go by.

Edit: By that last bit I mean that references to treacle are present in recent songs (and in Harry Potter), not that there is anything overly sentimental about British pop.

Last edited by David Bird (2014-12-01 16:35:23)

#4 2020-09-30 12:57:05

JuanTwoThree
Eggcornista

On the plain in Spain where it mainly rains.

Board footer