Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2014-12-16 00:09:49

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

"broacher" for "brochure"

Today at work I read a report that used the word “broacher”. It took me a minute to deduce from the context that they meant “brochure”. A Web search yields quite a few examples, such as:

Moreover, the CDA has failed to establish tourist information centres yet and to provide pamphlet, broachers and guides inscribed with information about the recreational places.
Pakistani newspaper

“Really unprofessional ! Don’t be fooled by the glossy broacher.”
Review of business that offers windsurfing outings

It’s a concept broacher design for an upcoming fashion accessories brand (mainly ladies bags) in india.
ad for a graphic designer

The eggcornish meaning connection consists in the fact that a brochure broaches a subject. Regarding the rather large difference in pronunciation between the acorn and the eggcorn—well, that may have something to do with the fact that most of the examples I saw were from people whose first language isn’t English.

#2 2014-12-17 06:36:32

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: "broacher" for "brochure"

Nice one, Dixon.

Board footer