Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2014-07-27 02:25:08

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

"confess" for "confide"

Hey ***, I thought I’d confess in you a little, you know. I have a secret that I’d like you to know.
Q&A site

Don’t ask too many questions about her life too unless she wants to confess in you.
flirting tips

Or maybe he will confess in you about the letter because you two are friends and you’re gay?
advice column

That is why it is at this point in my blog I feel that I must confess in you.
blog

Sir, may I confess in you something? I think you are very handsome. This is a bonus because I do not trust Ugly Men, as I myself am an Ugly Man.
another blog

The potential for eggcornish meaning-confusion between “confess” and “confide” is obvious. I suppose it’s not inconceivable that some perps may actually mean “confess” in these examples but be unclear that “to”, not “in”, is the proper preposition in this context. The picture is complicated by the fact that some of these perps used the word “confide” properly in the same paragraph.

#2 2014-12-26 12:56:54

kem
Eggcornista

Re: "confess" for "confide"

The sounds of “confess” and “confide” seem a little too far apart to be an eggcorn.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#3 2014-12-28 16:09:31

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

Re: "confess" for "confide"

kem wrote:

The sounds of “confess” and “confide” seem a little too far apart to be an eggcorn.

You’re probably right, although I would say that there’s a wide grey area within which reasonable eggcornistas may disagree on where to draw the line.

Board footer