Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-07-31 16:14:52

KRS

Acid Tone for Acetone

Many years ago, I was a copy editor for Macmillan Trade Books. We got a manuscript for Do It Yourself Furniture Building, Step by Step, by an expert carpenter who, as a writer, was a good carpenter. The book was full of howlers, but my favorite was his consistent reference to the solvent “acetone” as “acid tone.”

#2 2015-03-01 01:06:29

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

Re: Acid Tone for Acetone

Yeah, here are a few examples I found recently:

What is an acid tone cleaner
Q&A site

Pour your acid tone into your glass jar, making sure you have a lid for your jar. If you don’t have a lid have something handy to put over your jar, as acid tone evaporates faster than rubbing alcohol!
instructions

Water based dyes, acid tone based dyes and acid stains.
polished concrete site

The fact that there is apparently a legitimate use for the term “acid” in the concrete polishing business (as seen in the last quote above) probably contributes to the confusion that results in the “acid tone” eggcorn.

#3 2015-03-01 11:18:16

burred
Eggcornista

Re: Acid Tone for Acetone

I should have noticed this one before submitting acidic acid, where kem also notes acidylsalicylic acid.

Board footer