Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2015-04-01 13:14:47

kem
Eggcornista

tendative << tentative

Lots of people are spelling “tentative” as “tendative.” See, for example, the web search for the expression “tendative dates:” https://www.google.ca/webhp?sourceid=ch … e+dates%22 It seems likely that some of these page authors may be importing “tend,” as in “tending to cause a problem.”

That’s my tendative conclusion.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#2 2015-04-01 18:14:45

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: tendative << tentative

I tent to think you are onto something.

We tent to think that dicipline is a fence holding us back from being free, when it actually is holding us in, in freedom!

“When we are in a group, we tent to think as that group does: we may even have joined the group to find “like-minded” people.”

(And plenty more. But I don’t very clearly see an eggcorn here.)
A tentative conclusion, however, is the kind I am likely to come to about what is in reality a tendency; I cannot reach a definitive or non-tentative conclusion when the data only tend in the direction of it. In other words, tendative is likely to be a real eggcorn for many of its users.

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#3 2015-04-03 07:24:08

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: tendative << tentative

There is now a program available to editors of scientific journals that will help them identify fake papers generated by computer program. Would the first hit below pass? I’m tempted, temporarily, to attempt to conclude, not.

Evolutionary functionalism provides the temptative conclusion of a happy coupling scenario between a functionalist theory of representations and an adaptationist evolutionary theory: the epistemological normativity of representations can be grounded in the fact that organisms must adapt to an objective environment.
ArXiv

It seems therefore that a certain level of ATP is necessary for effective inactivation, although this conclusion is only temptative
https://books.google.ca/books?id=ZrGRBQ … 22&f=false

Please note that the following schedule is only temptative.
Economics class intro

Last edited by David Bird (2015-04-03 07:24:47)

Board footer