Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2015-05-07 02:36:02

JuanTwoThree
Eggcornista

Under duress

I heard of a defendant who claimed he was acting under durex and somebody had threatened him. What does it mean?

it is possible wenger did this under durex. so wenge in his life now believe that a player is worth 40 million plus. u sold van persie for 24 and now buy ozil for 40 plus.

Always dressed to the nines on Sundays, and carried to church whether willingly or under durex

BECAUSE HIS LAWYER ARE CLAIMING THAT HE CONFESSED UNDER DUREX.

The first is a Yahoo question and might be someone having a bit of fun. Many more than the ones I’ve mentioned, and some of these too, seem to be coming from West Africa (Nigeria, Ghana).

Do I have to explain this to non-Brits? Durex is the major brand of condom in the UK and the word is used like Hoover, or Docksider (one for the preppies). So the idea of “unwillingly” could be thought of in terms of “wearing a condom”, though I don’t know for sure if that was the image going through the writers’ minds.

On the plain in Spain where it mainly rains.

#2 2015-05-07 03:13:13

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: Under duress

In Mexico (and I think Peru, at least) diurex means ‘scotch tape’. From its pronunciation (the “i” before the “u”) it almost has to be a borrowing, undoubtedly from English. Not sure how coercive an image that gives, much less whether those using the phrase might actually have this meaning in mind.

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#3 2015-05-07 06:02:12

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Re: Under duress

The notion of things done ‘under durex’ being executed without the expected enthusiasm or half-heartedly is quite appealing. It’d certainly be a fine eggcorn if we could find more evidence – I’ll look again later. Meanwhile, a variant came to mind…

I go to the gym 3-4 times a week, admittedly sometimes under due rest – but nevertheless I go! I am out going, bubbly and quite spontaneous.

... that the agreement that he was forced to sign under due-rest would not be legal as he would have had rights to the property and he didn’t understand his legal …

Board footer