Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2015-05-12 09:05:21

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

'a hide into nothing' for 'a hiding to nothing'

The acorn is still pretty opaque even now I’ve found that it’s drawn from horse racing odds. The possible eggcorn suggests a quest for meaning but for me not a particularly successful one – first concealment then seized by oblivion? Magic leather carpet conferring invisibility? No idea.

Well done Keith & congrats on winning the case.They probably knew they were on a hide into nothing as Regulation EC 261/20004 applies to them too …

I suspect that he has made his mind up before he even investigated it so you are perhaps onto a hide into nothing here.

...the High End side is NOT the lions share of the sale let alone the PC market as a whole so it becomes a hide into nothing and nearly impossible to aim at…

every time i feel a bit less than stellar
i ask how does God see me?
from heart space ofcourse otherwise its a hide into nothing.

#2 2015-05-12 09:31:31

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: 'a hide into nothing' for 'a hiding to nothing'

“A hiding to nothing” is new to me, but looks quite handy. Another expression based on the possession of a hide was my mother’s warning that she would tan same if I didn’t shape up. It wasn’t hard to find instances on the web where it was your favourite stag, or perhaps your bottom, that would be leatherized.

“If you ask what’s that one more time, I’m going to tan your hind,” Monto warned.
fanfic

#3 2015-05-18 07:43:55

kem
Eggcornista

“Tan your hind.” Great eggcorn. I think I may have heard it.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#4 2023-07-31 04:06:37

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

I have just heard someone use “highway to nothing” which seems a nicely eggcornish interpretation of the hiding acorn.

“They were on a highway to nothing,” said George Feiger, hired by McKinsey in 1981 as a banking consultant.

Stand your ground, refuse to carry him, don’t bargain with him about it and he will soon realise he is on a highway to nothing.

You’re on a highway to nothing as a player. Daniel Rioli executing a series of barrel rolls and flat scissor manoeuvres across the Club YoYo …

So if our highest self-esteem is at the age of nine, we’re on a highway to nothing – and it’s that internal pressure to achieve perfection.

Board footer