Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2015-03-02 17:55:10

David Bird
Eggcornista

"Bonfired" for bonafide

A person in the east attempted to mail a letter to a New Mexico resident and the post office there returned it to the sender noting that extra postage had to be applied before it could be delivered to MEXICO! So lets thank Gov. Richardson, we hope, for a final attempt to place New Mexico as bonfired member of the continental United States
Letter to the editor

This is a bonfired work carried out by me under the guidance of Ms.S.Senapati, JM(HRD) and has not been submitted to any other University or Institute or published earlier.
Bachelor’s thesis

If she does recover it will be a bonfired miracle.
News comment

there are scammers…real bonfired ones…..and dangerous ones too…..so be careful.
Dating advice

Bonfired, as in a finished ceramic pot. Initiation by campfire. Inflammatory. Flagrant.

Or, on the other hand, just maybe, a plain old flaming cupertino. I’d like to give it the benefit of the doubt, though. The nonparticipial form is less likely to be a silicism.

raises, and in the writer’s view, confuses some fundamental issues of the general law including the relationship between the common law and equity, the memo principle and the doctrine of the bonfire purchaser of value
Researchomatic

I am also a bonfire member of book haram and will exterminate any i***t that abuse me again.
Nigeria chat

The 0su and Ohu are not among the bonfire members of the Igbo community in as much as the Osu may even owe an allegiance to a common ancestor.
Religion and human relations

Last edited by David Bird (2015-03-02 18:06:20)

#2 2015-05-31 10:59:33

Zed90230

Re: "Bonfired" for bonafide

Funny, when I was a boy I thought the word was “bonified” (ossified, or turned into bone). Might have something to do with mafia recruits having to make their bones.

#3 2015-06-01 13:46:09

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: "Bonfired" for bonafide

Nice to have another perp-confession in confirmation of a classic .

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

Board footer