Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-09-28 09:02:22

CincinnatiKid

Pre-emptied

Reading my university’s student newspaper this morning (some would say this is a mistake, but I find it interesting), I came upon the following sentence in a student columnist’s piece:

“If it hasn’t happened already, it’s only because you were so excited about going to college that you pre-emptied any possible fear of idle youth with your mad scramble to talk about all of your big plans for university life.”

Has anyone seen other examples of writers substituting “pre-emptied” for “pre-empted”?

#2 2006-09-28 09:32:56

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: Pre-emptied

Nice find. 445 Google counts for “preemptied”. Many examples are eggcorns.

AOL Message Boards—GL: Bump Off or Bring Back—Re: bump or bringI love her character..and when she died the first time i was all set to watch the funeral but it was preemptied by the president! ...
messageboards.aol.com/.../articles.php?boardId=519979&articleId=903&func=5&channel=Television – 12k – Cached – Similar pages

The X Bridge | Watch This Space #140Shows were replaced or preemptied. Gundam was an immediate casualty. The Absolution got trapped by a space trash compactor and got saved. ...
www.thexbridge.com/wts140.html – 17k – Cached – Similar pages

Playoffs… [Archive] – CaribPlanet.com CommunityOriginally posted by Natural_Mystic :shame: Not even on satelite (which i still don’t have) That’s cruel. Preemptied for reality shows I’m almost sure. ...
www.caribplanet.com/community/archive/i … 20094.html – 14k – Supplemental Result – Cached – Similar pages

Smackdown Rating Drops – TheSmartMarks.com ForumsIt was also probably preemptied in a couple of markets . Detroit for sure ( Pistons lost : ( ) and maybe a couple other cities . ...
forums.thesmartmarks.com/index.php?showtopic=52450 – 99k – Supplemental Result – Cached – Similar pages

Board footer