Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2015-06-08 12:25:54

larrybob
Eggcornista

ingrain or ingrained for ingrown

A painful ingrown toenail can seem intractable and impossible to resolve, in fact, deeply ingrained.

Off-topic political message board post: Is there any way to fix an ingrained toenail other than the doctor?

Message board post: They also say that, annually in the US:... 38,000 [die] from ingrain toenail fungus

Message board post: I personally don’t see why I should pay for someone’s engrained toenail to be removed at the Mayo Clinic if the person so chooses, but maybe that’s just me

Blog: ...too many prayer requests are about Aunt Tilly’s ingrain toenail…

Because a secondary definition of ingrown is “having the direction of growth or activity or interest inward rather than outward” the phrase “ingrown habits”, while less commonly used than “ingrained habits”, still seems like it could be idiomatic rather than an eggcorn.

See also this on “Engrain vs. ingrain”: http://grammarist.com/spelling/engrain-ingrain/

And see this blog post about a related eggcorn: ingrained pool for in-ground pool.

#2 2015-06-08 15:07:37

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: ingrain or ingrained for ingrown

Your post suggests another painful variant.

I always get inground nails in my feet. I had always managed to take it out bymiself. But now i am 34 weeks and i got an inground toenail i has been not able to take it out because with my big stomach it is almost impossible to reach my feet.
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Pregnancy- … ow/2336227

Board footer