Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2015-06-14 18:06:28

heraldicsandfox

Haricots Verts

Pretty sure this is a mondegreen instead of a true eggcorn, but I spent enough time confused by it that I thought it might be worth making an account to share it.

http://kinja.com/tbobburns/discussions (where I originally spotted it):

I did this exactly as written on friday with a large branzino and a red snapper and HOLY F—- was it good. Served with some angel hair and heir coverts. S—-. so good.

http://sqwires.com/events-music/tuesday-sqware-plates/:

#6 shepard’s pie, house made meatloaf, heir coverts, roasted corn, carrots broiled with creamy whipped potatoes & cheddar biscuit

http://www.ridgewaygolf.com/c/document_ … roupId=18:

Ginger seared Ahi Tuna with garlic mashed potatoes or roasted red potatoes and heir coverts

I doubt this came from anything more than mishearing it, but it does have a couple of cool features. First, the words that replaced it are French in origin and in the way they’re assembled into a phrase, sort of like people knew they were supposed to be French but didn’t know the words. In addition, though, one could devise a narrative where these beans, unlike other bare beans, are still covered by a pod, making them “covert heirs” to their green bean plant predecessor, hiding until they can be planted. That’s probably a little fanciful of me to think, though.

Last edited by heraldicsandfox (2015-06-14 18:07:43)

#2 2015-06-15 15:56:02

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: Haricots Verts

It was news to me that haricots verts were becoming a culinary item. A bit of checking indicates that the term is generally reserved for a few lines of green beans that are thinner than the standard issue. Coverts are not particularly common diet items so I agree that the needle is bending towards monde-green beans. I found a few other efforts to get a grip on haricots.

Smoked Leg of Lamb with mashed potatoes, Hari Coverts, and a smoked tomato Lamb Jus. It was a good dinner…
chef talk

Herri Coverts with mushroom rue and garlic smashed potatos.
Tonight’s menu

Tempura fried served with fava, harry coverts, baby zucchini and roasted plum tomato sauce
Catering menu

“Pork jowel” goes on the list of funny menu misspellings behind (no joke) “hairy coverts” (haricots verts).
Resto critic

SHORT RIB, braised beef short rib au poivre, roasted french beans, pomme frites… The hairy coverts were vibrant and snappy.
resto review

Mushroom rue was another valiant effort.

Board footer