Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2015-06-15 16:46:16

David Bird
Eggcornista

"Meets and bounds" for "metes-and-bounds"

If you’re looking at a property deed and you want to determine the boundaries of that real estate. It can be made more complex if it uses what’s called a meets and bounds property legal description.
youtube

The defendant pleaded, that John Biron, knight, the defendant’s grandfather, was seised in fee of a messuage of a hundred acres of land, two hundred acres of meadow, three hundred acres of pasture, and a hundred acres of wood in Colwick, in the county aforesaid, now and time out of mind called the manor of Colwick, within the meets and bounds of the forest aforesaid.
A Treatise on the Game Laws, 1812

The ‘metes’ of metes-and-bounds are a specific form of measure along a border between properties, as described in Wikipedia . It’s easy to imagine that they might instead be interpreted as places where properties join, at ‘meets.’ The two examples span 200 years of confusion.

BTW, a messuage is not a message, it’s a homestead or household. It’s thought to have come down as a misreading from an old French word, mesnage, which is familiar in the form of our friend the ménage à trois. Seised meant ‘owned.’

Edit: Wait, seised does not mean owned, because only the king owned the land under the feudal system. The knight had a fiefdom or fee, which meant he merely had legal possession, contingent on the king’s whim and good favour, I suppose.

Last edited by David Bird (2015-06-15 16:56:22)

#2 2015-06-17 02:42:59

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Re: "Meets and bounds" for "metes-and-bounds"

Along the lines of ‘lock stock and barrel’ is this variant, mainly from India, which could refer to livestock and other edibles as well as boundaries:

In the meantime my brother sent me a legal notice that I should talk with him for settling the property meats and bounds before my sale.(He does not know the …

I need to utilize meats and bounds info from existing engineering docs to create several land parcel themes as well as creating corner points for …

Also from India, a cheerier sort of agreement altogether:

– by meets and bounce no co-owner has a right to utilise the land for its benefits. The raising of constructions will cause irreparable loss as third …

#3 2015-06-17 19:34:56

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: "Meets and bounds" for "metes-and-bounds"

More simblings, inspired by the possibilities in perseveration errors. Whereabouts are the meets and bouts? A bout was originally a trip going and returning behind the plow, after all. Before it was a round of fisticuffs over property borders.

Property rights If the lots are meets and bouts as opposed to a platted subdivision there are differences in what you have rights to.

And for sun-dappled fields:

Visionary And Catholic Prophecy (both Public and Private) so identifies that territory as the minimum meads and bounds of the Empire which Antichrist will conquer

Looking for long-lost landed wealth from absent-minded forebears?

Genealogy
land in sevier county Tennessee district south of french broad and holston on waters of flat creek, granted 6-15-1810 at Knoxville by willie blourt governor of state of Tennessee. No useful information in the means and bounds description. (unless you want to know what kind of trees grew there)

Board footer