Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2015-06-12 01:30:31

JuanTwoThree
Eggcornista

Ornette Coleman

Free Jazz innovator, Pulitzer Prize and Grammy Award winner Ornate Coleman died this morning from cardiac arrest. Coleman was 85.

Many jazz greats are sons and daughters of the South, and Ornate Coleman was no exception

RIP

Last edited by JuanTwoThree (2015-06-12 01:31:29)

On the plain in Spain where it mainly rains.

#2 2015-06-15 16:02:54

burred
Eggcornista

Re: Ornette Coleman

These are maybe just a tad too cute to be wholly innocent. Half were from French speakers so I gave them the benefit of the doubt.

I like Jazz like Charles Mingus, John Coltrane, Hornet Coleman, Mulatu Astatke and the Heliocentrics.
http://www.michael-myers.net/phpBB/view … 4&start=30

Music: Caribou, Jon Hopkins, Aphex twin, Nicolas Jaar, Etta James, Wanda Jackson, James Brown, Hornet Coleman, Miles, Debussy, Ravel, Reich.
OKCupid

Favorite Music: Mingus, Art Blakey, Hornet Coleman, Donald Byrd, John Coltrane, Herbie Hancock, Pat Metheny, Charles Bradley, Franck Sinatra, Dean Martin, ACDC, Gramatick, Daft Punk…
blogger profile

Name tune by Hornet Coleman that employed collective improv
Jazz history flash cards

#3 2015-06-16 15:29:43

JuanTwoThree
Eggcornista

I’ll see your Hornet Coleman and raise you

Kool: We starting playing Jazz at an early age so we looked up to people like John Coal Train. On the R&B side there are a lot of Motown artists we were listening to.. and we became the Soultown Band. Now the Soultown Review was competing with the Motown Review. So then all of the Motown artists were groups like Diana Ross & Supremes, Stevie Wonder, and James Brown

the only one I could find that wasn’t a pun.

On which note:

Cannonball Adderley Was Not a Cannibal! At least, I’m pretty sure he wasn’t. He was a wonderful jazz saxophone player and we all should be grateful for his music. So to those people out there who keep calling him “Cannibal Adderley,” please just stop it right now! I’m sure all jazz fans and his family would appreciate it very much.

Slightly spoiled by this:

One final note: Julian Adderley’s nickname was originally “cannibal Adderley,” a reference to his appetites. “Cannonball” was a corruption, but one that I suspect did his career a lot of good.

#4 2015-06-18 08:50:34

burred
Eggcornista

I fold. Punsters and band-namers are all over even the most far fledged names I could come up with: Felonious Monk? Taken. Elephants Gerald? Out there. I can only offer the obliquely-related translation of Fiddy Cent into an equivalent sum of Malaysian ringgits that was posted a while back on Language Log.

#5 2015-06-19 02:23:21

JuanTwoThree
Eggcornista

Mention is made of people asking who “Fat Swallow” was but it’s all a bit apocryphal.

#6 2015-06-19 04:43:06

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

And what about Sonny’s Tit? And Son Raw? And Snatchmo?

Board footer