Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-10-19 12:31:25

jorkel
Eggcornista

MIDEVIL (Medieval)

Google counts on Oct. 19, 2006
5,730,000 Medieval
262,000 midevil
Analysis by Joe Krozel

“Medieval” refers to the middle ages (which subsumes the Dark Ages) and the latter might conjure up the notion that evil was able to reign. Whence, “midevil.”

Examples:

US charging Americans for evacuation from Beirut? » Netscape.comThe idea of taxes dates back to the midevil times with serfs paying for protection, but at least they had said protection. ...
news.netscape.com/story/2006/07/17/us-charging-americans-for-evacuation-from-beirut/comments/3 – 120k – Cached – Similar pages

Time Travel [Archive] – The Coming Soon! Boardsand then i’d travel to midevil times just cause that’s always facinated me:) ... I would go to the midevil times too. sigh Looks like it is time to slay …
www.comingsoon.net/forums/archive/index … 16282.html – 29k – Cached – Similar pages

Re: Would your outlook on the Zelda series change at all if …i think it would change alot. and the reason there werent female warriors in midevil times is because men didnt let us be warriors. but hasnt anyone else …
forums.nintendo.com/nintendo/board/message?board.id=zelda&message.id=2129235 – 92k – Oct 17, 2006 – Cached – Similar pages

Raise The Fist! – uschNo we never “accidently” bombed their embassy and no we were not spying on them. Ignorance leads this nation. I feel like I’m living in the midevil times. ...
www.raisethefist.com/news.cgi?artical=usch – 36k – Cached – Similar pages

Topix.net: News Front PageIn fact history shows the Catholic Church being a hugh contributor, if not the ruling power, in many goverments throughout midevil times. ...
rss.topix.net/forum/topstories/TL8G9QB0HT5525TJK/p3 – 79k – Cached – Similar pages

#2 2015-07-10 11:21:01

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: MIDEVIL (Medieval)

Not a new eggcorn, but in the form middle evil there’s little doubt that this is not just a spelling mistake. Middle evil retains three syllables; it’s usually directly blended with “Middle Ages.”

The satanic activity has been genealogically traced to a southern Slavic region of Europe during the middle evil ages [sic] when [my] forebears were the supreme monarchs of the blood royal.”
http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Magaz … iarticle=3

The prisoners in the middle evil ages were killed in an austere way
https://quizlet.com/40289445/unit-7-flash-cards/

The five reasons why I will not go or stay at the middle evil ages.
http://mpan3014.blogspot.ca/

“The Sword in the Stone” takes place in the dark middle-evil ages where England is without a king.
http://www.nickpicksflicks.com/mysalutetoanimation.htm

“satan” in the form he is considered today, were created in the middle evil ages, not in early Christianity, or before that!
http://www.religionforums.org/Thread-Go … ity?page=4

#3 2015-07-12 04:48:37

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

David Bird wrote:

Middle evil retains three syllables…

Whaaa? Since when does “middle evil” have three syllables?

#4 2015-07-12 10:16:03

burred
Eggcornista

I must have been living through the ages: Prime Evil (or Prime Ordeal), Middle Evil, and my doltage.

Rifleman: The spruce and fir bogs and varieties of lichen are akin to the dark forest prime-evil and can only be seen in the North woods.

BBQ guys: A pair of loons floated serenely out there, and wailed a lonesome, eerie song, which echoed through the forest prime evil, not to mention the very chambers of our souls. This was living. This day, this camp fire, this lake in the woods – pristine, and untouched by the wages of man.

The forest prime-evil has no need for the wages of man. It makes a tidy living from the wages of sin.

#5 2015-07-12 11:51:07

kem
Eggcornista

We usually do not know when we first encountered specific words. With me, “primeval” is an exception. I remember coming across it when I read Longfellow’s Evangeline, a work once known to almost every American high school student, but now studied mostly by scholars, linguists (for such was Longfellow), and musicians from the Maritime Provinces. It begins

This is the forest primeval. The murmuring pines and the hemlocks,
Bearded with moss, and in garments green, indistinct in the twilight,
Stand like Druids of eld, with voices sad and prophetic,
Stand like harpers hoar, with beards that rest on their bosoms.

I don’t see any eggcorned examples of this famous first line, but I do see a couple of puns on “prime-evil.” One is in a 1940 Pennsylvania newspaper. It is about human-caused forest fires. The other is in a discussion of Tolkien’s boding forests.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

Board footer