Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-09-19 20:37:24

jimbobobtel

renumeration (remuneration)

A job specification passed my desk this morning with a request for better renumeration. I was doubly amused because not only is this a request for a change to the salary number but also the job was for an accountant!

#2 2006-10-04 01:29:13

jimbobobtel

Re: renumeration (remuneration)

Wot no replies? So how does the eggcorn make it into the dictionary?

#3 2006-10-04 01:34:36

jimbobobtel

Are people not getting it? Your remuneration is a renumeration of your bank balance. My accountant friend was actually looking for a renumeration of his renumeration remuneration :-).

#4 2006-10-04 01:37:45

jimbobobtel

Spotted in the wild! Both in the menu and the link itself (though now corrected in the page title)

http://www.domino-printing.com/uk/about … merati.cfm

#5 2006-10-04 10:00:18

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Dear Jimbo, I’m afraid there was a posting by blacksmith_tb on the 25th of April with “renumerative” for “remunerative” which is much the same thing. You may have tried ‘search’ under Eggcorn Forum and drawn a blank; this ‘search’ doesn’t find anything for me either – I recently posted drivel/dribble and respite/rest-bite after checking, only to find they’ve already been posted.
The only solution is to read the lot, but even then there are references to entries I can’t find.
Anyway, welcome, and happy eggcorn-hunting…

#6 2018-05-06 23:37:41

kem
Eggcornista

A Merriam-Webster word of the day entry from this week echoed our earlier discussion.

Our evidence shows remuneration to be most at home in writing that concerns financial matters, especially when large amounts of money—or other forms of compensation—are involved. Whether it’s because money is often expressed in numerals, or simply because the “n” and “m” are adjacent to each other on our keyboards, “reMUNeration” often appears misspelled as “reNUMeration.” (Renumeration, a very rare word, means “to enumerate [to count or list] again.”) It pays to know that the mun in remuneration is from Latin munus, meaning “gift,” a root it shares with munificent, an adjective which means “very liberal in giving.”

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

Board footer