Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2015-08-14 13:23:34

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

deep-routed

“Route” for “root” is in our Eggcorn Database. I have recently stumbled upon this variation:

We remove Franklin Storm altogether because that is wasted screentime to build up a character to end up killing him to showcase a deep routed need for vengeance.
movie article

A router is a tool which digs grooves. A routine is a sort of groove we move along habitually. It’s possible for a groove to be deeply routed, thus more strongly compelling what path we take. This is analogous to the way in which our growth is influenced by how deep are our roots. A few more of the many examples:

Demolish those deep routed habits which have kept you over-weight and now adopt the principles for a permantly lean physique…
book description

Our team has deep routed experience, with a high concentration in the office space market.
real estate site

Unconscious Gender Bias: Pervasive and Deep Routed
article title

Ace has always been the place, and backed by Garrett’s deep routed history and experience in the hardware store industry we guarantee quality products and knowledgeable, friendly customer service.
hardware store site

Last edited by Dixon Wragg (2017-02-12 16:39:55)

#2 2015-08-29 21:42:25

yanogator
Eggcornista

Re: deep-routed

I don’t like the router comparison because of the difference in pronunciation (unless other parts of the country have it rhyming with shooter rather than shouter). However, it did lead to some thinking along the lines of traveling the same route consistently could wear a rut that would be deep-routed.

“I always wanted to be somebody. I should have been more specific.” – Lily Tomlin

#3 2016-08-10 02:36:31

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

Here’s a variation I encountered recently:

as an old-time Ditko fan, I’m routing for this movie and down with Cumberbatch
Strange discussion

Last edited by Dixon Wragg (2017-02-12 16:38:20)

#4 2017-02-12 16:30:50

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

Here’s a round-tripper I recently encountered. I’m sure there are many of these out there. Not sure about any eggcornish meaning connection in this example, though. It may just be a misspelling.

Rather than trying to fit Deadpool into the narrative and style of the behemoth Marvel Cinematic Universe, Rhett Reese and company decided to go the opposite root.
movie discussion

Last edited by Dixon Wragg (2017-02-12 16:37:59)

Board footer