Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2015-08-27 10:36:26

mogandlola

Insight change instead of incite change

http://www.npr.org/2015/08/18/432620039 … rm=nprnews

In the comments:
Austin Ouellette JoJoMusic • 9 days ago
I would hope you don’t only blame men. We are a society. It is not one gender’s sole responsibility to insight change.

#2 2015-08-28 14:32:28

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

Re: Insight change instead of incite change

I think this could be an eggcorn. The meaning assumption could be something like the notion of visualizing a change before it can be implemented, hence “insight”.

Welcome to the Eggcorn Forum, mogandlola!

#3 2018-11-07 03:14:17

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

Re: Insight change instead of incite change

Here’s a variation in the other direction I just encountered online:

Wow, thanks, thats an incite full comment!
FB discussion

Per Grammarphobia, inciteful is a real word: “Although you won’t find the word in standard dictionaries, the Oxford English Dictionary has an entry that defines it this way: “Liable to rouse to passion; provocative.””
However, the example above is one of many that use the term (or a variation) in a clearly eggcornish manner. The meaning connection could be the idea that insight could incite action (ironic to one who has studied psychotherapies and discovered that it’s possible to get tons of insight with no resulting behavioral change). Here are a few examples that, from the context, appear to be eggcorns rather than intentional proper usage of “inciteful” (of course, spellings like “incite full”, as in the first example above, are more likely to be eggcorns):

So inciteful! A must-do!
tour review

Customer support representative was very inciteful with helping me
software company rating

Smart and inciteful review of quality control in proteomics
book review

Our guide, George, was outstanding. He was an evacuee, and his story was so inciteful. This tour was so good because you saw so much more of the city than the devastation of the 9th ward.
tour review

Board footer