Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2015-08-26 09:59:24

kem
Eggcornista

dragonian << draconian

Few of us, when we say “draconian,” can connect the word with the merciless rules instituted by Draco, the early Athenian lawmaker. Almost all modern speakers, however, know that it is folly expect mercy from a dragon. “Dragonian” is a common substitution for “draconian.”

Blog post: “I am reduced to being an unwilling tax payer subjected to harsh and dragonian rules that do not take into account my personal circumstances, my personal choice and my ability to pay. ”

Forum post: ” I too am curious how a company with such dragonian rules could survive in today’s society.”

Caravan discussion board: “Some have dragonian rules where-by you are not allowed to drink on your decking after 9pm. Although I wouldn’t want part central I’d prefer something where people are allowed to be mature as well.”

Last edited by kem (2015-08-26 10:00:13)

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#2 2015-09-07 16:14:18

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: dragonian << draconian

Interesting. I fell into the dragonian school. The constellation of the dragon is Draco, after all, isn’t it? Better look that up…

Aha, both Draco the dragon and Draco the lawman were sharp-sighted.

Last edited by David Bird (2015-09-08 10:40:55)

#3 2015-09-08 07:55:49

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

“Dragonian” is a common substitution for “draconian.”

And yet it was the tedium rather than the dragon I noticed – laws or whatever that drag on. A touch of the tincture might make all this jurisprudence more digestible:

.. most americans I meet think just like Canadians and yet you have a fundamentalist, radical, evangelical government and drankonian laws, ...

#4 2015-09-08 10:20:30

David Bird
Eggcornista

Gun buddies: I think the market will catch up, assuming Obamites don’t pass some draconium laws in the meantime.

Somewhere between titanium and adamantium.

Board footer