Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2015-09-21 16:15:10

lopro

flash forward / fast forward

This is my first try, I heard someone say flash forward on talk radio today. Let me know what y’all think

#2 2015-09-21 16:29:52

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: flash forward / fast forward

Give us some more context, if you can. E.g. if the person said “put the tape recorder on flash forward” or “in flash-forward mode” it would make it more probably eggcornish. Works well to Google a standard context. (There are some easily findable examples for this one.)

Would you rather have a flash forward button or rewind button in life? ...See the full whisper and millions more on Whisper,

Also see here . Again, check with the second search engine (the Google search) on the Eggcorns Database page.

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#3 2015-09-21 18:56:16

lopro

While writing an Email today I was momentarily flustered when trying to decide between “fast forward to…” and “flash forward to…” thinking that one was an eggcorn of the other. I concluded that both were perfectly good idioms in their own right—with hundreds of millions of Google hits each. However, I did wonder whether “flash forward” subliminally lead to the usage of “fast forward” in this context.

Last edited by jorkel (2009-03-28 05:55:19)

I’ll have to agree with the above quoted version. Flash forward was used correctly therefore nil on the eggcorn. I’ll check the google search next time :)

#4 2015-09-21 23:32:17

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Flash forward likely owes something to flashback , in at least some usages.

#5 2015-09-22 10:21:53

kem
Eggcornista

Seems to me that “flash forward” is, in most contexts, an eggcorn. “Fast forward” is a fairly tight idiom used in restricted contexts. Any alteration is suspicious. Especially, as David says, given the parallel “flashback.”

Inserting an /l/, as we do with “fast/flash,” is a common door into the eggcornome. A liquid/lateral phoneme doesn’t require a lot of speech effort to add/subtract. We’ve seen this in the eggcorns lamblast, cueless, bomblastic, filibluster, glibberish, bobbling (for apples), jailwalking, and doltage.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#6 2015-09-22 17:12:25

lopro

kem wrote:

Seems to me that “flash forward” is, in most contexts, an eggcorn. “Fast forward” is a fairly tight idiom used in restricted contexts. Any alteration is suspicious. Especially, as David says, given the parallel “flashback.”

Inserting an /l/, as we do with “fast/flash,” is a common door into the eggcornome. A liquid/lateral phoneme doesn’t require a lot of speech effort to add/subtract. We’ve seen this in the eggcorns lamblast, cueless, bomblastic, filibluster, glibberish, bobbling (for apples), jailwalking, and doltage.

The context in which I heard “flash forward” was a movie plot summary where the “flash forward” referred to a jump forward in time, opposite of a flashback. Since it was a movie, my mind locked on fast forward. I remember learning about the flashback in literature classes, but I don’t recall the flash forward.

#7 2015-09-22 22:40:59

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

I expect we are all agreed that flash forward is not a widespread, well-established idiom like flashback is. But it is beyond dispute (I think) that the nominal flashback , the verb phrase pattern “Verb back ” and probably the specific example of that pattern flash back (as in “her thoughts flashed back to the time that …”) and of course the words flash , back and forward , with the latter two being opposites as to direction, are all well-established. Given that, I have no problem with supposing that the phrase flash forward (as in “her thoughts flashed forward to the time when …”) could easily be coined by multiple speakers or writers and understood perfectly well by multiple hearers or readers; it may in fact be established for a number of them, and nominal and adjectival versions (“a flash-forward button”) could be derived from it easily enough as well. With changing technologies, fast-forwarding in the old sense is rarely necessary and often undesirable; jumping to the beginning of a later scene or song (the sort of usage you described above) is more accurately described as flashing forward. In none of thse usages would flash forward be an eggcorn.
To be a full-fledged (fully hatched?) eggcorn the perps would have to think that all along they had been hearing everybody else say “flash forward” all along when in fact they had been saying “fast forward”. It may indeed be the case for some, but it may be an independent formation (as described above) for others. I am in the latter group; I can use both phrases; I believe I have done so in the past and meant different things by them, not confusing one for the other.

Board footer