Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2015-10-09 04:04:54

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

"infect' for "inflict"

Addiction is a disease that we purposely infect upon ourselves.
10-word story

If you’re a parents certainly don’t infect upon you child what you endured.
Q&A site

But as a company to work for they abuse staff and have extremely materialistic views which they infect upon staff to keep them spending and always needing to earn more money
review of a company

Therefore, with that in mind, I am going to talk with you about the bonus flick you decided to infect upon my DVD player.
movie review

By their actions, they infect upon the domestically derived military (which is supposed to be completely representative of the pluralistic society) disharmony and division which can ultimately destroy the nation-state.
blog

My friend David introduced me to the game. We would spend hours in his bed room, battling it out on his custom maps. He got me my own copy for Christmas one year, which I would infect upon the rest of my family.
gamer talk

Sure looks like an eggcorn to me.

#2 2015-10-14 02:31:33

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

Re: "infect' for "inflict"

This one is a round-tripper, too. There are lots of examples of inflicted for infected, though it’s often hard to tell from a given example whether inflicted is substituted for infected or for afflicted. There’s a spectrum of examples from those that are likely the former (mainly the ones that refer to literal infectious diseases), to those that are more likely the latter.

CU Student Inflicted With Meningitis
article

Bill Gates: People inflicted with HIV are living two decades longer
title of article

Can a man be inflicted with cancer by using pressure cooker?
Q&A site

The 71-year-old said there was no hope for individuals inflicted with conditions such as retinitis pigmentosa, which has compromised Wynn’s vision over the last 50 years and causes nighttime blindness and a lack of peripheral vision.
article

Recent experiments funded by the ALS Association, mice had holes drilled into their skulls, were inflicted with crippling illnesses, and were forced to run on an inclined treadmill until they collapsed from exhaustion.
article

Beaullieu family inflicted with ‘duck disease’
article

Treating poor people inflicted with jiggers and spreading Love…
The men, women and children we serve have severely been inflicted with jiggers.
health agency site

What are 3 traits of a person inflicted with alcoholism?
Q&A site

Why do i have to be inflicted with bipolar?
another Q&A site

A Lioness With 3 Cubs Gets Inflicted With A Deadly Wound By A Buffalo…
Read more at http://www.reshareable.tv/a-lioness-wit … AzlojED.99

Family inflicted with late-term abortion called traitors
article about forced abortion in China

McClatchy Inflicted With Deficit Mania Disease
article title

Inflicted with Love
fan fiction title

Perhaps some of you eggcornistas can suggest other substitutions in the infect/inflict/afflict realm.

#3 2015-10-15 03:00:34

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Just one little simbling, of a type we’ve encountered before, with a t ending read as -ed; can’t think of any examples at the moment though. The flick, I think, adds a helpfully tactile touch.

What low life these people are would love to see them in a ring fighting for their lives and feeling the pain inflicked.

... tittled punitive general to attack Yuan (Mongolian) army advancing along three routes beyond the Great wall, and inflicked a crushing defeat on the enemy.

It sits under my bed at night and can not been seen , it fits in my hand just right and the end are sharp so will inflicked a lot of damage to body parts so be warned , and it can be used as a tool as well I found it usefull for pulling nails

#4 2015-10-17 15:55:20

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Sorry to inflick it on you though! Don’t have nightmares friend!

we related this story to my son who was putting up with to old gits in a pub and thought I’d inflick it on my erstwhile friends on the forum.

the tories can spell austerity and inflick it on the rest of us , but they don`t suffer it or know what it means.

(There are plenty of these.)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

Board footer