Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2015-11-02 00:33:18

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

"de turd" for "deterred"

Leaving aside the obvious puns, it appears that, for some folks, de turd, de-turd, or deturd is really the proper term for what we unenlightened ones call deterred. The meaning connection may be that one who allows him/herself to be deterred is lacking in the virtue of perseverance, and has succumbed to a more dominant force, and therefore is “the turd”.

I will not be de turd, Mr. Yuku!
music discussion

But “soon” would be the word I’d use only if compared to the evolution of man. I will not be de-turd however!
car discussion

Not to be de-turd myself. I go back out and finish clearing up the shoes.
blog

...he monopolized every thread with mostly BAD advice…..most of the tech heads got rocket pissed, but he was not to be deturd…
Corvette forum

...to my frustration when I did I got a bite and missed it spooking the Carp. Not to be de-turd I was moving swim again to give the surface fishing one more go.
fishing blog

Incidentally, the same blog that yielded that last example above also offers little gems such as:

A very pretty little Mirror I’m sure you’ll agree albeit with a few chucks out it’s dorsal fin…

[ chucks for chunks ]

...and…

I kept checking the margin spots where I had baited up with bottom baits but the was no sign of the Carp so I decided to perceiver.

[ perceiver for persevere ].

Last edited by Dixon Wragg (2015-12-21 04:39:26)

Board footer