Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2015-11-12 17:17:09

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Terms

David Bird wrote:

A Freddy cat, then, is a timid Annie Lehman. I couldn’t find the ground zero post for that term.

Does anybody know how to set up a Wiki that we could use to work out definitions for a bunch of these terms, which could then somehow be posted here? It seems to me that it would be helpful for us older coots on the site to hash out the best way to express what we have hashed out (or have yet to hash out) in substance. And it could be a big help for those not used to our terminology, and for us in trying to explain it to them. In Wiki comments for each entry, or in the entries themselves, we could have links to past posts (ground zero on up) relevant to the concept.

Maybe it could be posted here in the Eggcornology section with a separate post for each entry —though with our posting-and-display system it would probably get to be pretty awkward—, or maybe it could be posted all together in a regular post, but I would think that would not be best at least at first. Even once it’s in pretty good shape, we would want to allow for the introduction of new terms (I like Freddy, and think him worth documenting even if he was introduced only half jokingly). I don’t know anything about the architecture of the site or who has permissions to do anything about it. Maybe posting on the Wiki site and then just having a link prominently available here is the way to go. Or what do you all think?

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#2 2015-11-13 07:19:40

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: Terms

Great idea. Sounds like fun (famous last words). If no one else does it first, I’ll try to set up a wiki during the holidays—relying heavily on the advice of other keeners here. We can then ask the Eggcorn Fairy to make a sticky post somewhere on the home page.

#3 2015-11-14 15:10:37

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

Re: Terms

Yeah, good idea; this site needs a glossary. And, as I’ve mentioned before, we also need a sticky post with the info newbies need, such as how to search for pre-existing posts on a topic one is considering posting, and how to create boldface, italics, etc. in this system. It took me forever to learn that stuff by gradually figuring it out, stumbling upon it, and begging veteran eggcornistas for info.

Board footer