Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2012-02-19 09:49:25

burred
Eggcornista

"eye browse"

Nibbling at the web this morning, I came across the first hit below, describing the possibility that a tiny lizard might be living in the dense herbage of one’s eye browse. Barbers are just browsers after all, clipping off the growing extremities of your tangled bank (and middle age is the point where hair stops growing on your head yet sprouts verdantly from your nose, ears and browse). Come to think of it, browsing the web is a potential hidden eggcorn, implicating your fuzzy or furrowed brows.

have you checked to see if he dosent have lizards living in his eye browse .lol
World’s tiniest lizard discovered

From the initial approximating round shape to the eye-lashes, the iris and the eye-browse.
How to draw female eyes

Edit: I wondered how the perps would cope with one eyebrow. Looks like they don’t.

She had cosmetics surgery no doubt! Her left eye browse is always lift it up. The botox makes her forehead smooth and shine and the chick implants give her a youthful look. what ever next…..
Celeb gossip

When home I started to prepare them for posting on the web, when i noticed she lacks a big part of her left eye-browse.
Photochop surgery

Last edited by burred (2012-02-19 10:02:38)

#2 2012-02-19 12:29:53

kem
Eggcornista

Re: "eye browse"

We also have “highbrow” for “eyebrow.” High over the eyes?

Blog comment: “Scar on my face is tiny, it is over left highbrow near middle.”

Web fiction: “Johanna’s face backed as she raised her left highbrow.”

More web fiction: “Bobby raised his right highbrow as he stood by and watch”

These people may be borrowing under the table from the word “highbrow,” derived from “highbrowed,” an adjective describing something superior, intellectually exalted. “Highbrow/highbrowed” spawned “lowbrow,” meaning base, unrefined, intellectually vapid.

Using “highbrow” to mean cultured is a bit odd if the “brow” part refers to the airstrip of hair over the eye. Do cultured people really have higher brows? Perhaps “highbrow” is a calque for the Latin word for the eyebrow, supercilium, that gave us “supercilious.” Alternately, “brow” may refer to the forehead. As the OED notes, over the years “eyebrow” has lifted its referent: “From the eye-lashes, the [word “eyebrow”] appears to have been transferred step by step to the eye-lids, the eye-brows, the prominences of the forehead, and finally to the forehead as a whole.” High foreheads have a traditional association with intelligence (apologies to Neanderthal readers of this post).

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#3 2012-02-19 14:07:10

burred
Eggcornista

Good one. Reminds me of this Herman cartoon.

Do you think Johanna might have balked at the same time her face was backing in your second hit? I also liked “chick implants” above. These were in the face, I presume. Maybe she got them done in a chick boutique.

Last edited by burred (2015-11-18 06:23:56)

#4 2015-11-18 06:22:23

burred
Eggcornista

fanfic I tray the joint again and rub my high-lids with the heels of my hands.

fanfic It makes my heart feel pinched up and hurt and bothered, because behind my high-lids, all I can suddenly see is Victoria.

#5 2015-11-20 03:53:24

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

burred wrote:

...Her left eye browse is always lift it up. The botox makes her forehead smooth and shine and the chick implants give her a youthful look…
Celeb gossip

You already mentioned the great “chick implants”, burred, but I think “lift it” for “lifted” deserves a dishonorable mention.

Board footer