Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-10-04 15:00:49

jorkel
Eggcornista

Ivyprofen (Ibuprofen)

Google counts on Oct 4, 2006
6,870,000 Ibuprofen
89 ivyprofen
53 ivproven

I just had to see how widespread the misnomer “ivyprofen” is in place of “Ibuprofen.” Apparently, the former spelling is pretty uncommon even though it’s pronunciation seems to dominate—at least to my untrained ear. I wonder if anyone ever made a connection between the misnomer and an I.V. (intravenous) feed or even ivy (as an imagined source of the drug). Little chance of pulling an eggcorn out of this one, I guess.

Examples.

www.myspace.com/eattoothpasteNumber of Drugs I have taken :, 2 tylenol , and ivyprofen. Number of CDs I own :, like 5 but i just let juli have them in her cd case and use hers too . ; ) ...
www.myspace.com/eattoothpaste – 111k – Supplemental Result – Cached – Similar pages
[ More results from www.myspace.com ]

this is me….... so my mom took me 2 school and i had a splitting headache and she told me to wear my sunglasses and take IVprofen . . . or however u spell it . . . but …
love-me-4me.livejournal.com/ 99k – Supplemental Result – Cached – Similar pages

#2 2006-10-04 15:05:09

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: Ivyprofen (Ibuprofen)

Along a similar vein, has anyone ever noticed “atherosclerosis” pronounced “ARTERIO-sclerosis?”

If there isn’t already a name for this type of thing, I’d give it the name like… Nukularisms.

#3 2006-10-05 19:04:38

Eggstatic

Re: Ivyprofen (Ibuprofen)

Not a mispronunciation. Arteriosclerosis is a generic name for several vascular diseases, one of which is atherosclerosis.
The Merck Manual

Board footer