Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2015-12-15 15:17:42

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

convent << >> covenant

I saw this on a FB page:

does anyone know what time people are supposed to arrive at the redwood convent church for the christmas closet?

I knew the local church mentioned is really called Redwood Covenant Church. A quick web search found this eggcorn going in both directions.

When sacrifices are mention in the bible there was always shedding of blood to pay atonement for sins or to establish a convent with God.
Bing results page

... why would he send you another soul mate when you willing entered into a convent with God and your wife?
another results page

This is because, it was believed by puritans that they had a convent with God for them to build a community that will act as a model to all other nations to copy from them.
school paper ‘help’ site

She flees Las Vegas, masquerading as a nun in a covenant, renamed Sister Mary Clarence, and shakes up the established order of the sisters’ lives, particularly enlivening their choral efforts.
movie synopsis

And when I say strict, I mean, stricter than a nun in a covenant, nahmsayin’?
blog

Originally, Agnes was a nun in a covenant near Vienna, who was greatly interested in the curative attributes of plant life.
gamer site

Being in a convent does imply some sort of covenant with one’s god—hence the meaning confusion.

#2 2015-12-16 21:01:19

kem
Eggcornista

Re: convent << >> covenant

To add to our religious eggcorns.

I’m not sure the meaning overlap can be invoked in every cases. These seem to me like DNA eggcorns—the share a religious heritage that authorizes the exchange.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#3 2015-12-16 21:13:02

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: convent << >> covenant

Something about conventional(ity) is probably going on in there too, though in the cloistrousness it’s hard to see.

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

Board footer