Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2015-12-30 07:42:21

antinomy

"Blessing in the skies"

A beloved eggcorn within our family, created by an earlier acquaintance, mutating, of course, ‘a blessing in disguise’. The invocation of the heavens gives it the quirk of unintended insight that yields a true eggcorn, in my view at least … that note of serendipity.

Last edited by antinomy (2015-12-30 08:59:48)

#2 2015-12-30 09:25:32

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: "Blessing in the skies"

This beaut was discussed at great length, here. Though I didn’t wade through all of it, the gist of at least some of that discussion was that, in order to be a good eggcorn, a blessing in the skies requires a special understanding of the potential mysterious, benevolent role of the heavens, or even of chance, I guess, that is hidden in seeming misfortune. Is that the quirk you see in it, antimony?

#3 2015-12-30 11:30:58

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Not to be sanctinomious, Tocayo, but … (Or was that more serendipity? Sb < lawlessness?)
In a way this kind of error (assuming it wasn’t purposeful) illustrates beautifully how Aunty Lehmanns (eggcorn < proper name) mirror the quandary Lehmanns (proper name < acorn) reduce us to; if changing to a proper name counts for eggcornhood, any semantic shift giving that result “works”. If the acorn is a proper name, we know that proper names often arise from meaningful structures (Smith = metalworker, Parker = “keeper of the park”, etc.) but are willing to accept almost any such meaning as good enough. Why shouldn’t a person be named for a chemical element rather than for a politico-moral attitude?
Anyhow, if you enjoy the serendipitous, there is likely at least a strain of antinomy (which within measure is a valuable and enjoyable quality) in your character. Welcome to the club, Anti!

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2015-12-30 11:39:16)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#4 2015-12-30 12:12:09

David Bird
Eggcornista

I was initially nom plussed by your post, Tocayo, until it all fell into place. A good laugh! In this case, if I reach back all the way to this morning, I think I initially read antinomy and got to musing about antimony and whether it had any alchemical significance and … the birth of a WTF typo. Serendipity with the support of the sanctinomious Sant Canut.

Board footer