Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2015-12-31 06:38:39

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

"portrait" for "portray"

I recently happened upon this:

In the comic books, The Ancient One is portrated as being an elderly Asian man, so what’s up with casting the amazingly talented Tilda Swinton to play the character in Doctor Strange?
movie discussion

So I did a web search on “portrait him as”, finding a number of examples, including:

Also, it would be pretty easy to portrait him as an opportunist.
Brazilian politics

I remember years ago on the show, with the real Billy back then, the show portrait him as a decent, honest, caring person. But now they portrait him as the opposite, and a real “jerk”.
TV discussion

ok, it is your harry and you can portrait him as you like, ...
fan fiction discussion

I knew it was going to be Seth from the start when you portrait him as this innocent guy.
another fan fiction discussion

Was jesus white? The church always seems to portrait him as a white man but thats not possible.
Q&A site

I think it could be an eggcorn—though, given the close etymological connection, not a very exciting one.

Board footer