Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2016-01-04 20:02:10

CatherineR
Eggcornista

"chased" for "chaste"

Student papers are a rich source of eggcorns. I’ve seen this in a couple lately: “In those days, women were expected to be chased until marriage.” My personal favorite is the “chased virgin”—presumably chased until she’s caught!

A Google search yields only 38 results for “chased until marriage,” and only one “chased virgin” in the sense used here.

#2 2016-01-05 01:57:06

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

Re: "chased" for "chaste"

This one has been discussed here.

#3 2016-01-09 12:36:33

CatherineR
Eggcornista

Alas, I searched the database before I posted and found nothing. Is there a trick to finding out if one has been scooped?

#4 2016-01-09 17:44:39

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

CatherineR wrote:

Alas, I searched the database before I posted and found nothing. Is there a trick to finding out if one has been scooped?

The second of the two search fields on the Eggcorn Database page, the search field marked “Google Search”, is the one to use for searching this site. Entering “chased chaste” therein yielded several relevant hits in the Eggcorn Database and the Eggcorn Forum. How did you do your search?

Board footer