Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2016-01-04 00:42:16

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

Making a big "Ma steak"

I couldn’t believe my hearing or what i was seeing on TV abut MR Bill Cosby, because I’ve watched him and his Cosby family for years now…i hope and pray that this is a big Ma steak…
FB post

I couldn’t find any other examples of this odd substitution online—but that’s at least partly because of a web-searching problem I’ve been running into: Typing, e.g., “Ma steak” into a search engine doesn’t just yield examples of “Ma steak”; it yields millions of examples of “mistake”, too many to search through for the odd “Ma steak” in a haystack. Hellllllp!!! Does anyone here know of a search engine that will just search for what I ask it for, not trying to second-guess what I may have meant?

#2 2016-01-04 08:31:29

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: Making a big "Ma steak"

Google still works in the familiar way for me. You do use the search-ical tools available to isolate search terms, it goes without asking. There were no interesting hits for Ma steak, unless Big Ma Ma Steak in Taichung gets you salivating. It might be some kind of silicism. There are four other quirks in these two sentences, none of which would be caught by spellcheck.

#3 2016-01-11 10:16:04

kem
Eggcornista

Re: Making a big "Ma steak"

Quotation marks (“ma steak”) in the Google search engine seem to limit the search to the exact expression.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

Board footer