Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2016-01-07 21:09:30

David Bird
Eggcornista

"The ghost is clear" for "coast"

There is first and second party evidence for this one. The first suggests that the logic depends on the transparency of spirit visitors. You can’t deny that logic, but how does that correspond to the absence of witnesses or souls? It could also be construed as “the ghost is gone”? It has evaporated, or cleared out, and with it the danger.

eggcorn thread When I was student-teaching, I taught To Kill a Mockingbird to a 10th grade class, and somehow we got onto the subject of ghosts (that was 20 years ago, but most likely we were referencing Atticus Finch’s remark that “there were other ways of making people into ghosts”). A female student then made a comment and used the idiom “the ghost is clear.” Everyone looked at her, puzzled. “You mean, the coast is clear,” I said. “No,” she responded, “that’s not the saying – ghosts are clear, aren’t they?”

reddit reaction gifs MRW I realize that the phrase is “The coast is clear” and not “The ghost is clear” (i.imgur.com)

blog I learned only a year ago that it’s not “the ghost is clear”. I’m 31 years old.

travel blog After we thought the coast was clear (or as some Jackson folk say…the ghost was clear), I started taking pictures again

Here are some dox.

online fic Walking quietly down the stairs, I made sure to check if the ghost was clear. I smiled when it was.

anecdote As shreds of a plan began to form in my mind, I was given a chance to stage the proposal I so desperately wanted earlier in the day when she asked me to walk into the dark chapel first, “to look for murderers.” I proceeded to walk to the front of the chapel, and put the taco sauce packet, which I had hidden for most of the day, on a small wooden stand in the front center of the room. When I told her the ghost was clear, I stepped back towards the door

fanfic he then took them and quickly looked back to see if Luna was still sleeping, with the ghost clear he quickly changed into new clothes … On the way out, Danny turned and gave Celestia a small wave good by as they disappeared out of sight. Celestia gave a small wave to them as well and waited for them to disappear, once the ghost was clear, Celestia let out a sigh

advice column on toiletry Get a baby wipe or maybe a close friend to tell you that the ghost is clear.

#2 2016-01-11 12:40:11

kem
Eggcornista

Re: "The ghost is clear" for "coast"

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

Board footer