Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2016-02-10 15:19:09

fishmatt

peat gravel for pea gravel

From the 2006/2009 post on “wheelbarrel”:

JonW719 wrote:

I just came across this one today on Craigslist (see? It really is a great source for reshapings):

Free peat gravel. Used for swing set play area. Size covering estimate 7-8 square yards by 6 inches deep. Bring wheel barrel.

I avoided bumping this aged post, but didn’t see anyone notice “peat gravel” in the thread. Could that be eggcorny as peat is another common landscaping word, or is this a case where nobody actually thinks the gravel is made of or meant to associate with peat?

Here’s a do-it-yourself blog that makes the substitution twice and doesn’t seem to explain it away (or use peat in the construction): http://designingdomesticity.blogspot.co … ow-to.html

#2 2016-02-11 09:57:18

kem
Eggcornista

Re: peat gravel for pea gravel

I can see a few substitutions of “peat gravel” for “pea gravel.” There don’t seem to be very many on the web.

At this low frequency, it may be a simple misspelling. But it could also be a DNA replacement, where users have a category in their mental lexicon of “bulk items I buy at a nursery/landscaping store” and have melded two of the items.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#3 2016-02-11 10:50:17

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: peat gravel for pea gravel

So many people think it’s pee gravel, especially if their dog uses it to store mail, that it might be some kind of brand name.

Board footer