Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2008-06-11 14:21:26

JonW719
Eggcornista

Here, here! vs. Hear, hear!

Dear Eggcornistas, I’m not sure which form of a toast or assent to a toast is correct. Do you know?

“Hear, hear!” seems as if it could be a shortened form of “hear ye, hear ye!”

What do you think? I came across “Here, here!” in a book recently, and it struck me as being wrong, but I’m not sure of the origins of the expression, so it is hard to tell.

Feeling quite combobulated.

#2 2008-06-12 03:53:10

patschwieterman
Administrator

Re: Here, here! vs. Hear, hear!

I think I’ve occasionally seen it printed as “Here! Here!” too, but the OED seconds Amy’s opinion:

13. a. The imperative hear!, now usually repeated, hear! hear! (formerly hear him! hear him!) is used as an exclamation to call attention to a speaker’s words, and hence has become a general expression of approbation or ‘cheering’.
It is now the regular form of cheering [CHEER n.1 8] in the House of Commons, and expresses, according to intonation, admiration, acquiescence, indignation, derision, etc.

#3 2008-06-12 11:30:55

TootsNYC
Eggcornista

I’ve never read it as “here, here!”

Until now.

But it’s a reasonable sort of eggcorn.

Nowadays, we use “Word!” (hear the word)

#4 2016-02-12 19:07:22

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

I have been finding “Here! Here!” all over the place. I wondered if anybody thinks it’s “Hear here!”, which would make pretty good sense, but most hits I found looked likely to be advertent. (There are a lot more than I looked through, so maybe others of you can find some good examples.)
It occurs to me to wonder if “Here, here!” might not be a kind of opposite of “There, there!”. Since the latter is an expression used to calm someone down (soothe to say), the former might be understood as an attempt to incite or excite them.

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#5 2022-03-21 07:50:55

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

There’s an interesting and entertaining treatment of this at https://grammarist.com/spelling/hear-hear/ . Among the nuggets:

[from the Grammarist:] Here, here is widely regarded as a misspelling, […] hear, hear is the original form […] “Here, here” is still common in the English language. It’s more commonly used at the moment. But it could be for a different circumstance or context. When someone’s looking for their keys, and you found them, you can say, “here, here!”

The rest of the quotes are from the comments. The order of them is shifted around a bit.

always assumed it came down from old English, Hear ye, hear ye… Which was simply a command to listen well…

That’s funny, because I’m sure I read somewhere that “Here, here!” was the proper spelling, being originally a shout meaning, “Here is the person to whom we should all be paying attention.” (Picture the shouter gesturing toward the speaker with his open hand.) I guess I’m easily duped, because this didn’t sound nonsensical or silly to me.

It’s “Here.” A speaker would say, “Here, Here” to indicate approval–”Here–I agree too. Right here!” The word “Hear” makes no sense.

Funny, because I generally say (and assumed logically) that it was “Hear here”, as in “Hey, listen to this guy over here”. I’ll just keep doing it my way, it makes the most sense to me.

Why not “HEAR HERE” meaning listen here (you heard it here or come gather round and hear here

[agreeing it should be “hear here”:] it still makes more sense to my logic. ¶ As in, “Everyone, HEAR what has been said HERE!” ¶ I still check it now and again just to see if it has changed. ¶ Alas, we’re outnumbered. ¶ Unfortunately for us, grammar yields to consensus over logic.

(That last is a profound, though not entirely true, observation. If it were absolutely true, the proper form would now unquestionably be “Here, here”. I’m happy to keep trying to change, or at least resist, that consensus. As a previous commenter said: “I’ll just keep doing it my way, it makes the most sense to me.”)

I hear it as a shortening of a toast, as at a dinner party. “Here’s a toast to what was just said!]”, repeated for emphasis. “Here, here!” Everyone who agrees raises a toast. Everyone drinks.

I always imagined that original form was ‘here’, indicating that here was a person who agrees with the speaker, like a roll-call or show of hands. The more ‘here’s’ you heard from the audience, the more support was present in the room, which is, after all, the way its actually used. From that, one can easily see how it would have become ‘here here’ for strong agreement, giving the impression that more people are in support.

Amens from the quire.

I’ve seen “here, here” in the context of a rebuke, as in, “Here, here, sir, you’ve no cause to say a thing like that!” Since the speaker disagrees with the person, she would not call for him to be heard, but would be saying, in effect, “Look here, mister…”

As Pat quoted from OED, above: “It […] expresses, according to intonation, admiration, acquiescence, indignation, derision, etc.”

There, there….it is neither here nor there.

Here and now, several herers, or hear herers, have suggested as the meaning. Interesting that “Now, now” has the same pacifying tone as “There, there.” Why don’t we say, “Then, then”?

[from a user handled Parody Parody:] You’re all wrong. That is only because the sounding of the phrase has been morphed over the years. Look back into it and you’ll find that the original phrase is “hare hair”, which, when dissected, makes much more sense than any other explanation, since the phrase is used to imply strong agreement with what has just been said. It is a shortened version of the then common phrase “I agree with what you said so completely, any difference in our arguments could not be measured by the width of a HARE’s HAIR!” ¶ I am flabbergasted by the fact that nobody else has been able to identify this historic origination.

Eggcornish reasoning laid out for our delectation. I love it. As another commenter says:

The real education about “Hear, hear vs. here, here” is now presented in the comment section. “Hear, hear”? “Here, here”? “Hear, here”? “Here, hear”? They all seem right when a logical context is presented.

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2022-03-21 18:23:20)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

Board footer