Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-11-10 13:54:17

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

'since time immoral' for 'since time immemorial'

‘since time immemorial’ 552,000 ghits
‘since time immoral’ 833 ghits

‘Time immemorial’ means beyond remembrance, but ‘time immoral’ suggests a more specifically dubious past, increasing its contrast with the present. I’m not convinced this is an eggcorn as to my ear the two sound very different though perhaps elsewhere this is not the case…

... by Ben Franklin Dogs make an excellent pet and have been considered since time immoral, men’s best friend. Since we love so much our dogs, ...
www.my-pet-medicine.com/category/pet-grooming/rss – 6k –

The two scourges have plagued human civilization since time immoral and Pakistan is no exception to this rule. The only difference being that in our country …
www.jang.com.pk/thenews/oct2006-weekly/ … 06/spr.htm – 86k –

Keeping ones legs together has been a lifetime choice since time immoral and modern pharmacology gives no excuse. A washing machine! ...
www.rochdaleonline.co.uk/Forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4608 – 87k –

Hell, the capitolists at various levels have been practicing Robin Hoodlumism since time immoral. (Not a single typo in that sentence, folk). ...
papagoat.blogspot.com/ – 57k

#2 2006-11-10 23:21:35

patschwieterman
Administrator

Re: 'since time immoral' for 'since time immemorial'

“Moral” and “mortal” are often swapped for each other, so I went looking for “since time immortal.” Yup, just about 500 raw hits.

#3 2006-11-11 07:56:46

jorkel
Eggcornista

I think “since time IMMORTAL” works great as an eggcorn. It almost cries that it would take an immortal to recall something that is otherwise beyond the reach of our collective memory! It literally suggests a time period not accessible to (current) mortals.

Last edited by jorkel (2006-11-11 08:03:23)

#4 2007-01-15 08:15:21

Craig C Clarke
Eggcornista
Website

On a whim I just googled “since time in memorial” and got well over 300 hits.

Anyway, I think “time immoral” may be an eggcorn – people perhaps thinking it means something along the lines of “since way back before people were civilized.”

#5 2016-04-08 14:39:27

burred
Eggcornista

On the radio the smorning, a playwrite provided a live example of since time in memoriam, which is also mentioned in the database. It’s an eggcorn whose literal sense is directly contradictory to the acorn, since in memoriam means “in memory of” rather than “beyond memory.” But still effective, because it implies “since time long dead.”

Board footer