Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are temporarily closed as we're receiving a steady stream of registration spam.

Anyone who wishes to register, please email me at chris dot waigl at gmail dot com with the desired username and a valid email address, and I will register you manually.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2011-03-08

#1 2005-11-23 14:31:05

klakritz
Eggcornista

'defend for yourself' for 'fend for yourself'

‘Fend’ and ‘defend’ share a root, but the meanings diverged long ago. Also ‘defend for myself,’ etc. About 1500 ghits, e.g.,

Working while in high school, made me feel like I could defend for myself by facing up to some of my financial responsibilities.
www.mtsu.edu/~rlhannah/Customs99.html

you cant depend on the goverment for everything sometimes you have to defend for yourself people are so spoiled these days …
boards.historychannel.com/ thread.jspa?threadID=1200&messageID=600306633&start=75

My youngest brother appeared to be the pet of the family so that left me to defend for myself when it came to hand me downs.www.recoverymonth.gov/2004/ voices/storylist.aspx?state=Hawaii-

You had a very unfortunate up bringing with your mother passing at a very young age and you left to defend for yourself. www.doghouseboxing.com/Henderson/Henderson031505.htm

Once your out in the real world its like HELLO! your an adult, defend for yourself.
classof06.bunnie.net/forum/viewtopic. php?p=42&sid=e7c7305ffe3a2a8ba1173567d9e60f3f –

I’d like to apologize to the Iraqi people for those Americans who work to run away from this battle and leave you to defend for yourself.
www.tennapel.com/blog/ LeftiesHorrifiedWithOurSuccess.shtml

Also this is why family members can defend for you, it may mean you can’t defend for yourself but your family members certainly can.
mafiagame.info/viewtopic.php?p=32557& sid=1ba275040f8303be1a8a2bbad1702d85

Being left in an isolated world, to defend for myself is always not easy.
freewebs.com/thechild/silentplea.htm

Board footer