Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2016-05-10 14:28:31

burred
Eggcornista

She's a diamond in the rug

As reported on reddit from 6 years ago:

[–]robotbigfoot 2 points 6 years ago
ex roommate: “That’s the needle that broke the haystack!”
girlfriend: ”(like a) diamond in the rug”

Once you tweeze her out and dust her off, she shines. I found 5 other hits. The first is quoted at length for its off-kilter syntax.

Volvo XC90 – BMW, Audi, and Land Rover will need to take a step back for what Volvo called as the future of the business car, 2017 Volvo XC90. The new car is exceptionally coming with unusual specification for a SUV car. Volvo was always been good player in making classy car with price range the same with ordinary car, making itself a diamond in the rug. Volvo has specifically dedicated to upgrading Volvo XC90 after its latest 2016 model release in 2014. This 2017 version is titled as something pretty much a dramatic shift in the way usual Volvo does.
Car blurb

it’s either you’re a freak or you got a diamond in the rug nahmsayin
Gaming girls

A diamond in the rug
Come build your dream home or camp site!
Mississippi real estate

She’s like a diamond in the rug,
She’s my passion
Super nova over the brightest star
The main attraction…:0
twitter

A diamond in the rug.
She’s a rare gem, a rose in a field of lilies, a blessing from above.
blog

#2 2016-05-11 02:55:48

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

Re: She's a diamond in the rug

The pronunciation difference is a stretch. Maybe it’s an eyecorn?

#3 2016-08-09 06:45:54

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

The pronunciation difference is a stretch.

Not to my mangling ear, Dixon, which gets worse by the day I’ve been told. Now where else is an unlikely spot to find a diamond?

This hidden gem in Pak chong is a diamond in the raft. It’s a bit further than other resort but it’s very private and exclusive.

This place is somewhat of a hidden gem like a diamond in the raft. Somewhat hard to find, but luckily there are signs posted …

Toyota’s are good, no argument, but just because it’s Toyota, doesn’t make it a diamond in the raft!

#4 2016-08-10 02:10:43

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

Damn, now you’ve got me doing it.

I am a diamond in the rut. A diamond to an untrained eye looks like a rock stone. So men will kick it around on the ground.
quote from a book

I will definitely be back and recommending Thai’s Corner to everyone looking to try out somewhere new. They’re a diamond in the rut.
restaurant review

This is definitely a diamond in the rut, actually it seems the quality of some of the newer fics are actually rising.
fan fiction discussion

You were that special brother who went out of his way to make sure you were taken care of. A diamond in the rut.
memorial tribute

The portion size is HUGE, they server their entire menu from open to close and the food is incredibly good. A diamond in the rut!
another restaurant review

One track after another, fans demanded more and here he is, a diamond in the rut that is now a shining star!
singer bio

#5 2016-08-11 01:43:52

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Diamond in the rut. Seems a fine eggcorn to all my mangling senses. Riffing around an initial theme like this often seems to yield these gems, with David B having an eerie knack of prising them from the unlikeliest of settings.

#6 2016-08-11 05:32:44

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

Peter Forster wrote:

...with David B having an eerie knack of prising them from the unlikeliest of settings.

Yeah, he makes a B-line for them.

#7 2016-08-14 05:14:19

crispybacon

She’s a diamond in the rust
https://www.tripadvisor.co.nz/ShowUserR … inois.html

In the distance it glimmered, like a diamond in the rust.
http://www.em-mag.com/fashion/2015/2/27/man-buns

The vast majority of the OneHallyu population has dismissed Gugudan’s potential … and thus have failed to see the diamond in the rust that is Gugudan.
http://onehallyu.com/topic/357992-is-gu … r-mamamoo/

Quite a few puns here, and there was that Joan Baez song “Diamonds and Rust”, but there are still a fair few genuine ones.

#8 2016-08-14 08:49:01

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Rut, rust; can we continue adding letters I wonder?

That bit of hope turned into Spud convincing us that we needed to give some of these folks a chance, that we might discover a diamond in the crust. So we …

And staying with images of feeding:

nope. some are b****** and others are the complete opposite although rare. just have to keep looking around until you find a diamond in the trough.

Board footer