Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-10-09 06:43:54

jorkel
Eggcornista

STUFF (stuffed) peppers

Google counts on Oct 9, 2006
434,000 “Stuffed peppers”
11,600 “stuff peppers”—not all eggcorn usages.
Analysis by Joe Krozel

Stuffed peppers (mushrooms, etc.) is a recipe of hollowed out peppers stuffed with ground beef, onions, garlic, breadcrumbs, and other stuff. (Redundant for emphasis). I’ve heard this eggcorn all my life as my mother had an exceptional recipe for stuffed mushrooms which people would mistakenly refer to as “stuff mushrooms.”

Note on tailoring Google searches: To locate the eggcorn usage of “stuff,” I had to remove its usage as a verb and locate only its usage as an adjective—albeit an incorrect usage. To do this, I contrived a few Google searches which would force the latter usage. E.g.,: “stuff peppers recipe” , “of stuff peppers” , and the like. (Quotation marks required for each search).

Examples:

HilltopFarms.org – Sustainable Membership Farm – Willow Springs, NCCheck out the stuff peppers recipe to the left. Sounds good to me, but if you’re vegetarian maybe you can get creative and do something similar. ...
www.hilltopfarms.org/news.asp?id=96 – 19k – Cached – Similar pages

Fat Free Stuff Peppers Recipe – Girlfriends Locker Room: Send Had …m trying to cut out fat but because im yummy to eat. Feel free to adjust put the and tasty! print review with recipe swallowin handfuls o the stuff which is …
kroon.meatloafrecipe.info/ – Supplemental Result – Similar pages

Discuss Cooking – Stuffed Bell Pepper fillingsdon’t forget a hot peppers as well in the stuffed pepper. How about a chicken, rice, hot pepper, and marinara version of stuff peppers.
www.discusscooking.com/forums/f17/stuff … 240-2.html – 60k – Supplemental Result – Cached – Similar pages

Catering La Famiglia Giorgio Italian Restaurant Boston …APPETIZER CHOICE OF STUFF MUSHROOMS, ROLLED EGGPLANT, GARLIC BREAD, BRUSCHETTA BREAD SOUP: CHOICE OF SOUP PASTA: CHOICE OF RAVIOLI, TORTELLINI OR GNOCCHI, ...
www.lafamigliagiorgio.com/cateringmenu.htm – 17k – Cached – Similar pages

Mealey’s RestaurantWe shared an appetizer of stuff mushrooms (stuffed with crab imperial). My wife had the Chilean Sea Bass in a peppery sauce with perfectly cooked vegetables …
www.stsci.edu/~lanning/restaurants/mealeys.html – 6k – Cached – Similar pages

Board footer