Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2016-06-30 02:17:51

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

"drastic" for "Jurassic"

Scientific terms like “Jurassic” are not in most people’s vocabularies, so it’s no surprise that some would replace “Jurassic” with a more familiar term such as “drastic”. The most common related term by far is “Jurassic Park”, so I searched for the eggcornish equivalent “drastic park”. Digging through the numerous puns, I found some examples of apparent eggcorns.

Have ya seen Drastic Park? Twas documentary on Velociraptors!
velociraptor discussion

this is drastic park the dinosaurs are coming
rap lyric

How To Beat The Pterodactyl Drastic Park Lego
sports article title

4th of July. Parade drastic park theme for springs preserve !
caption of photo depicting dinosaur float in parade

Watching drastic park
vine caption

If you have a dinosaur from drastic park then play
gaming invitation

The events depicted in “Jurassic Park” were certainly drastic, so…

#2 2016-07-09 13:21:24

kem
Eggcornista

Re: "drastic" for "Jurassic"

Not bad

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#3 2016-07-13 09:17:58

yanogator
Eggcornista

Your first one isn’t an eggcorn, though. It is a short animated film. Your quote even mentions that it is a documentary. The others are a good find.

Bruce

“I always wanted to be somebody. I should have been more specific.” – Lily Tomlin

#4 2016-07-13 14:34:03

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

yanogator wrote:

Your first one isn’t an eggcorn, though. It is a short animated film. Your quote even mentions that it is a documentary.

Oh, okay, thanks, Bruce. I thought the person was referring to the Jurassic Park movie and just misusing the term “documentary”. I’ll go ahead and edit out that example. No, wait—if I edit it out now, people will be confused by your comment, so I’ll leave it in.

#5 2016-08-01 04:44:59

crispybacon

Is this a round-tripper? Jurassic = on a historic, T-rex-like scale.

https://sites.google.com/site/ramswriti … and-effect
In all Roosevelt made jurassic reforms to the American government and gained the popularity of the people. He became a powerful force in the world of politics, and in the realm of the common American people. Roosevelt used his power to make reforms and unify the states, and overall improve the country.

http://tmjhparkcitypost.blogspot.co.nz/ … ution.html
In the past few decades, some efforts have been made to reduce pollution around the Taj Mahal, including banning vehicles near the site. But now they have taken more jurassic measures. In January, Agra’s government banned the burning of cow dung in the city.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8938893/1/ … f-Vampires
It has been over 300 years from the tragedy of Cross Academy. Cameron Cross is the daughter of Yuki Cross and she had been changed into a human just as she had been. Now Cameron starts going through Jurassic changes when she gets turned by her lover Dimitri.

#6 2016-08-01 04:59:42

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

Nice find, crispybacon! I usually look for round-trippers, but didn’t think that one was likely enough to search for. Boy, was I wrong!

#7 2016-08-01 14:27:14

crispybacon

Kids love dinosaurs and prehistory. I knew the word Jurassic (and Triassic and Cretaceous) at the age of seven or eight, but I don’t think I came across “drastic” until I was a little older. This was before Jurassic Park, and I’d imagine the proportion of people who met “Jurassic” before they met “drastic” has increased since then, even if they come across “drastic” more than “Jurassic” in adulthood. So I wasn’t too surprised to find these. There were a lot of puns to wade through though!

Board footer