Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2016-08-10 03:22:52

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

"future" for "further" (and for "feature")

I encountered this online recently:

Dasha is currently studying theater in the south of Ukraine and hopes to use her acting skills to future her modeling career.
nude photography site

It seems eggcornish to me. I find it plausible that people who aren’t familiar with “further” as a verb would make the substitution, and the meanings of “further” and “future” are related. A few other examples:

They, those few greedy nasty jews, do not want Mel to continue to make his excellent movies as that will future his career instead of stop it—which they ahv been trying so hard to do!
discussion of Mel Gibson

She is eager to take on new challenges to improve her learning and herself, and actively seeks out opportunities and course work that will future her life and career aspirations in the medical field.
discussion of scholarship winner

Given a task, she will fulfill it or will die trying, if it will future her goals in the future.
geek talk

Interesting to see the two uses of “future” in that last example.

I also found a number of examples of “future” for “feature”, but the eggcornicity of this one is less clear.

Before you know it second part of this peice will future her finding another guy…
hentai discussion

The new show is called Bo$$ Ladies and will future her and other women running a bar together.
TV talk

Be sure to check this fantastic designer’s footwear which we will future her Amazing Clover Pump and Skyla Heel.
footwear talk

This one of a kind night will future his trio (violin, bass and guitar) and quintet (violin, piano, guitar, bass, drums) ensembles on a journey showcasing music ranging from Hungarian Czardas, Bluegrass, Gypsy Jazz to Pop and R&B.
concert ad

Last edited by Dixon Wragg (2016-08-11 05:55:40)

#2 2016-08-12 10:58:19

kem
Eggcornista

Re: "future" for "further" (and for "feature")

The sound isn’t very close on “future” and “further.” Seems like it might just be a lapse of tongue and finger.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#3 2016-08-12 13:19:01

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

Re: "future" for "further" (and for "feature")

kem wrote:

The sound isn’t very close on “future” and “further.” Seems like it might just be a lapse of tongue and finger.

Granted the sounds of “future” and “further” are not very close, yet they are close enough so that we may assume the sound similarity motivated the word choice (unless we assume that the pronunciation similarity is entirely coincidental, which seems unlikely). I have come to believe that this is sufficient for eggcornicity in all such cases where the meaning connection is present, as long as there’s no reason to believe it’s a conscious pun.

Board footer