Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2016-07-16 14:49:25

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

nickedname

for the last time g-force is unacceptable as a nickname for gerald wallace. he is crash. g-force was a stupid forced nickedname from the bobcats

William Henry Gate was born on 28 October 1955 in Seattle Washington and his nickedname was Trey

I threw the ball and hit Natasha eye hahaha! it was so funny now her nickedname was cork eye girl we came out of the pool
early because

#JeanHarlow (March 1911- June 1937) ... her nickedname was ‘Baby’ and she was known as the original ‘Platinum Blonde
Bombshell’.

When I ran across this I thought these examples (understanding the noun nickname as describing a name that has been nicked) would be typical, and they certainly are out there. But there seem to be more like the following:

I know him We went to the same school. Everyone in school nickedname him lyingbitch Because all he […]

Mopar dam cute, but our house the dog would be nickedname “katkos” as I have a tom cat that keeps two boerbulls in check

reverse compression is what the right-hand mechanic nickedname the bike, and hence the name.

Nickedname as “The Wizard of Menlo Park” he was the first one to come to the idea of mass production and large-scale teamwork to the process of invention.

In these we have a clearly (de)verbal structure, and one that at least potentially may be analyzed as a verb-verb compound, or a verb-noun compound. I have loved those for a long time (e.g. have you ever hung-glid before , or it spin-dried/spun-dried/spun-dry/spinned-dry , I slam-dunked/slammed-dunked/slammed-dunk it and it was a slam-dunk/slammed-dunk and so on), so it is fun to find this example, with the verbal usages so relatively well-populated, and (both verbs and nouns) eggcornish to boot.

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2016-07-16 14:52:02)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#2 2016-07-17 08:33:50

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: nickedname

I like that you left “a name that has been nicked” open for interpretation.

#3 2016-07-17 08:52:20

kem
Eggcornista

The first group are nouns, the second group verbs. I think you are right about the importation of “nick (=steal)” into the noun group. Some in the noun group, however, may be explained as noun transforms of the past tense verb “nickednamed,” which probably arises from a common anticipation error.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#4 2016-07-17 13:28:15

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

DavidTuggy wrote:

have you ever hung-glid before

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PE_VyVgdmMA

#5 2016-07-17 17:39:40

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

It might be nicked=stolen, but also nicked=shortened. (Was that what you meant, tocayo, by saying I had left “a name that has been nicked” open for interpretation? Or did you have a more disreputable meaning in mind?)

#6 2016-08-07 05:26:06

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

From time to time many of us are obliged to wear our names dangling from a lanyard around the neck at conferences, seminars etc. This may have influenced the following variant but, on reflection, it seems unlikely.

Whitey was a neck name he had received because of his light blond hair.

Then he told me his neckname was “Bulldog” and whenever he got an idea he held onto it and nobody could take it away from him

#7 2016-08-07 21:11:46

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Awesome.

#8 2016-10-03 10:13:33

David Bird
Eggcornista

DavidTuggy wrote:

It might be nicked=stolen, but also nicked=shortened. (Was that what you meant, tocayo, by saying I had left “a name that has been nicked” open for interpretation? Or did you have a more disreputable meaning in mind?)

Only one of the above, stolen. And my other possibility was damaged, but I like your nicked=shortened more.

Board footer