Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-10-06 12:46:33

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

'dumpstruck' for 'dumbstruck'

My mother used to apply the term “slipshod gob” to anyone who mumbled stammered, stuttered or otherwise mangled their spoken English. I was often numbered among that fumbling, stumbling group, and in additional possess both a slipshod ear and a slipshod eye. It was the latter that misread Jorkel’s ‘dumbtruck for dumptruck’ as ‘dumbstruck for dumpstruck.’
To be ‘dumbstruck’ is to be so shocked or surprised that one is unable to speak; a similar reaction could take place if a relationship is suddenly terminated – ‘dumpstruck.’
I hesitate to mention it, but astonishment at being ‘dumpstruck’ could also involve being on the receiving end of hurled excrement, particularly in the USA. (I don’t wish to suggest that US citizens are particularly prone to this sort of activity, merely that such connotations for the word ‘dump’ are not yet common in other English-speaking areas.)

I just stood there dumpstruck. I discovered two others with a similar lack of fundamentals working on real life banking software. ...
worsethanfailure.com/Comments/Classics-Week-The-Contractors-Note.aspx – 104k – Cached

I was also dumpstruck to find that they do have a unit specially designed for the MX5 and the controls is fitted neatly into a new gearshift nob on the MX5 …
www.mx-5.com/Community/forums/rss.aspx? … ostID=2018 – 9k – Cached

But on the following day the ground began to shake and he pushed head and shoulders out of the grave all the while looking accusingly at the dumpstruck men …
members.virtualtourist.com/m/tt/3dea0/ – 54k – Cached

I was dumpstruck to learn that Speilberg had set his sights on staining War of the Worlds, already recently befouled by M. Night Shamalan inc. ...
www.rushkoff.com/2004/12/question-of-scale.php – 56k – Cached

In the 1st World War, the Russian troops were dumpstruck at the level of comfort and wealth of the Prussian peasants who’s cottages they had first believed …
p210.ezboard.com/ftheworldatwar70879frm1.showMessage?topicID=1237.topic&index=3 – 10k – Cached

80 unique ghits

#2 2007-10-06 16:46:51

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: 'dumpstruck' for 'dumbstruck'

These utterers must really have some meaning of “dump” in mind; One would normally expect a sharp sound like the “p” to be lost in lazy speech—as in the eggcorn which I suggested—rather than picked up (as in the current situation). Again, this would suggest that “dump” was intended (with whatever meaning might apply).

#3 2016-10-08 21:01:05

David Bird
Eggcornista

Sometimes, we are dump-founded to answer love related matters cos love is beyond human thinking.
looking for a translator

I was dump founded when Icelandair agents told me they have no provision in place for their passengers, who would rather change travel dates.
Humph

I stood dump found when a man got out of her car playing with the keys.
fic

I found myself in a dump? I found I had been dumped? My world has been founded on a dump?

#4 2016-10-09 14:20:58

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

Apropos of this, check this out.

Board footer