Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2017-02-04 23:03:30

CatherineR
Eggcornista

"pass the mustard" for "pass muster" ?

From a Facebook post critical of President Trump: “Your executive orders have to pass the mustard and be legal. ” I can’t figure out the logic of it, though, so maybe it’s a malapropism and not a true eggcorn.

#2 2017-02-05 16:29:26

kem
Eggcornista

Re: "pass the mustard" for "pass muster" ?

Zwicky suggest “the sharpness and spiciness” of mustard might play a role. Seems to me that, if there is any semantic transfer, it might be in simplicity of the act of passing the mustard. If you can’t pass mustard, it’s hard to imagine what else you could accomplish.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#3 2017-02-06 15:29:00

JChance

Re: "pass the mustard" for "pass muster" ?

Likely. However, I’d call “pass the mustard” an idiom blend, between the punny/idiomatic “cut the mustard” and the more straightforward “pass muster.”

Board footer