Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2017-03-07 21:00:19

kem
Eggcornista

nibbed in the bud << nipped in the bud

We have had the lacklustre snipped in the bud on the Forum and the classic “nip in the butt” has made it into the Database. At a talk this weekend, I heard a new one. The speaker said “nibbed in the bud.” My first thought was that this was just an anticipation error for “nipped in the bud,” an idiom meaning “put a stop to at the very beginning” that derives from the horticultural procedure of pinching (nipping) off the growing tip of a plant. When I checked the expression on the web, however, I found many, many examples of “nib in the bud,” “nibbed in the bud,” and “nibs in the bud.” As you can see from the ngram, “nibbed in the bud” has become quite popular over the last half century.

It seems likely, given its frequency, that “nibbed in the bud” is more than a simple verbal slip. The cart of sound is being pulled by a horse of meaning. But what horse? There is an English verb “nib” that means “to peck at,” but all of its usages are either obsolete or parochial. Another “nib” verb is the old term for sharpening the point (nib) of a pen or quill, but a change in technology has largely retired that expression from common speech. I suspect that speakers are equating “nib” with “nibble” and thinking that “nib in the bud” somehow references the act of biting.

There are also a half dozen examples of “nubbed in the bud.” These may double anticipation errors.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#2 2017-03-08 07:48:52

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: nibbed in the bud << nipped in the bud

There are 50 raw hits for nibbled in the bud, so that explanation has support.

#3 2017-04-12 20:12:47

David Bird
Eggcornista

And in this corner we have something to do with lying chest-down in the lite beer.

English Language: His attempts were “nippled in the Bud” (a) unsuccessful (b) cutshort (c ) frustrated (d) disqualified?
Posted: 09-Oct-2014 [20:58:12] by server
Singlish idiom quiz

#4 2022-06-09 09:59:59

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Birds do nip about pretty zippily, which would fit quite nicely, but sadly nipped in the bird is not a convincing inversion of the bird nipped in. I’d also hoped to find a bird with a nib, as nib derives from beak, but no such luck. A culinary image of a desperate last -minute addition pinched into the sage and onion is the best I can muster.

Great leader late Muzibur Rahaman wanted to make it Switzerland among eastern countries but all his hopes were nipped in the bird due to lackadaisical …

Potential threats are nipped in the bird by exercising the full power of the company’s strength.

... it is the duty of the Court to nip it in the bird at the first hearing and by clever drafting a suit which is otherwise barred by law of …

Board footer