Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2017-03-17 13:58:36

kem
Eggcornista

bionomial, effullgence

A couple of tendentious spelling have popped up in the last week. One is a variation of the word “effulgence.” “Effulgence” is extreme brightness, so it comes as no surprise that the word is sometimes respelled to insert the word “full,” even though there is no etymological connection (“full” is AS, “fulgence” is from Latin). Here are several examples of “efullgence in books and “effullgence” in books.

A much more common mistake is to insert the do-all “bio-“ prefix used for biological topics into the phrase “binomial name” that biologists use to refer to the Linnaean double name given to species. There are a number of published examples of “bionomial” in books.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#2 2017-03-17 19:50:48

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: bionomial, effullgence

“Bionomial” – biocurious. Binomial nomenclature was supposed to describe all of the fixed kinds of organisms in the world. Linnaeus had no idea that his very system would mutate and evolve. How could he have foreseen flashcards study sets on the internet.

Binormal nomeclature
Naming system that gives each organism a two word scientific name
one of those flashcard study sets that are a rich source of eggcorns

Bionormal nomenclature
Is a formal system of naming species of living things by giving each a name composed of two parts, both of which use Latin grammatical forms, although they can be based on words from other languages.
another one of those flashcard study sets that are a rich source of eggcorns

Binomial Normenclature
Naming system proposed by Lanneus
one more of those flashcard study sets that are a rich source of eggcorns

Last edited by David Bird (2017-03-17 21:31:05)

#3 2017-03-18 04:44:43

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

Presumably these folks are assuming the system was developed by someone named Norman or someone of Norman lineage:

So the comment on the blog that refers to “hecka” and the somewhat common internet normanclature “woot” is ok with me.
gamer talk

Everything else is mounting hardware correct? Just trying to get the normanclature straight.
bicyclist talk

...if your looking for responces from other readers you should probably explain, at least define, all questionable normanclature used in the script. Although it is easy enough for us to understand, the concept is easy, its the normanclature thats … confusing(persay).
blog
[This example has an added bonus, the classic eggcorn “persay”.]

And these folks apparently understand naming as an aspect of culture:

There have traditionally been twenty four departments in the Marcian Government, although the nomanculture and role of the ministries do change over time…
gamer talk

I purchased a TFO 12’6” professional rod. I loaded with sufficient backing, Airflo Skagit short(or whatever the nomanculture is).
goin’ fishin’

It is actually incorrect nomanculture to call the Type 99 a mine because the Type 99 is meant to be thrown and even has a grenade like fuse however this is a common mistake made by historians.
military talk

Other Nomanculture: Dinosaurs, Scalies, Lizards, Alligators, UFI (Unidentified Foreign Invader)
gamer talk

YOUR OUT OF YOUR ELEMENT DONNIE, THE CHINAMEN IS NOT THE ISSUE HERE, the correct normanculture(?) is asian american
jock talk

This variation is my favorite:

I’m not sure of some of the namenculture of some of those exercises, but from what I gather it is pretty rigorous.
exercise talk

OTHER INTERESTING LINKS. Curiosities of Biological Namenculture
paleontology site

The A-12 ‘Oxcart’ was the precurser to the SR-71, unless thatmeant the A-12 JSF…Dang crazy Anmericans and having to reset their namenculture every 20 years…
military talk

Well this is not being touted as DX10 either technically if you want to ignore the namenculture of the 4mx, which was worse since it was Geforce 2 based.
tech talk

Topic: namenculture of spiro compounds
science

#4 2017-03-18 04:53:43

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

The more I think about that last example above (namenculture), the more I think it meets the meaning criterion, if not the pronunciation one, for eggcornicity. The sorts of jargon generally referred to as nomenclature really do represent a sort of “naming culture”, or “name in culture”—an apprehension, however inchoate, of the reciprocal relationship of culture and naming/classifying, and nomenclature as signifier of one’s place in that particular “naming culture”.

#5 2017-03-18 10:28:51

kem
Eggcornista

I like “namenculture,” but it isn’t much of a stretch, is it? “Name” and “nomen” are etymological cognates. However, their common roots go back to Proto Indo-European, so they’ve been separated simblings for a long time.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#6 2017-03-18 19:26:18

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

kem wrote:

I like “namenculture,” but it isn’t much of a stretch, is it? “Name” and “nomen” are etymological cognates.

The “namen” part may not be much of a stretch, but ”-clature” >> ”-culture” certainly is one. So even if you don’t want to think of “namenculture” as a double yolker, you must surely still get the yolk.

Board footer