Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2017-03-14 07:02:09

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

"miss" for "mis-"

I recently encountered this:

It’s totally legal but they completely miss represent what they’re offering to make it sound different than what it really is
Nextdoor

Here are some other examples of the word “miss” being substituted for the prefix “mis-” in various words:

Those at America’s Ellis Island during the great immigrations to the US are often blamed for miss-spelling names.
article

Oh yes. I miss read the question. I thought OP was asking One Way Binding in general.
discussion

One of the things that has always intrigued me, bedeviled me, fascinated me and therefore inspired me, is the way that couples communicate, or more accurately, miss-communicate; the way that one person says one thing and the other hears something completely different…
blog

Ideal for end user products that may miss-align over a period of time as the operator can manually adjust the length by 10mm so to compensate any miss-alignment issues
product description

and i have notice sometimes i explain things in a bizarre fashion people aren’t use to and could miss-perceive my intended points for something else. misinterpretations happens to many people.
rant
[Note the correct use of the prefix “mis-” in “misinterpretations”, shortly after this writer’s “miss-perceive”.]

The danger of doing otherwise is that I will believe I already “know” something and miss interpret observations that are outside my current model.
discussion

Merriam-Webster defines “mis-” as:
1 a : badly : wrongly—misjudge
b : unfavorably—misesteem
c : in a suspicious manner—misdoubt
2 bad : wrong—misdeed
3 opposite or lack of—mistrust
4 not—misknow

“Miss”, of course, means not to hit something you’re aiming at. “Miss” and “mis-” are etymologically connected, but generally different in their meanings as used today. In the example above, it’s easy to see an eggcornish interpretation: e.g., misinterpreting something involves “missing” the right interpretation; misperceiving something involves “missing” the accurate perception, etc. This eggcornish meaning confusion between “miss” and “mis-” could hold true for just about every use of “mis-” in various words.

#2 2017-03-18 09:20:33

burred
Eggcornista

Re: "miss" for "mis-"

#3 2017-03-18 19:21:25

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

Re: "miss" for "mis-"

burred wrote:

The mis-ing link

Damn! I must’ve forgotten to do my usual Eggcorn Database search before posting this one. Well, at least I’ve added quite a few variations.

Board footer