Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2017-03-14 13:43:57

budbuddy

Sandwedges for sandwiches

I just saw this on a gas station digital sign as a lunch offer. I don’t think they meant the golf clubs. I see there is a eatery chain in India too: https://www.facebook.com/Sandwedges/. Now I realize that the former gas station sign is likely unintentional whereas the Indian business concern probably changed the word intentionally for TM or© purposes? Are intentional eggcorns not genuine?

Last edited by budbuddy (2017-03-14 13:46:42)

#2 2017-03-15 03:07:12

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

Re: Sandwedges for sandwiches

budbuddy wrote:

Are intentional eggcorns not genuine?

If they’re intentional, they’re some sort of conscious wordplay such as puns, not eggcorns. The person who uses it must really think it’s the correct word or phrase for it to be an eggcorn. “Sandwedge” may be an eggcorn of “sandwich” only if it meets that requirement, which is unlikely unless we can think of a plausible meaning-connection in addition to the pronunciation similarity.

Welcome to the Eggcorn Forum, budbuddy!

#3 2017-03-16 13:09:28

budbuddy

Thanks Dixon. So the gas station sign is, but the restaurant chain ain’t.

Last edited by budbuddy (2017-03-16 13:10:10)

#4 2017-03-16 18:10:09

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

budbuddy wrote:

So the gas station sign is, but the restaurant chain ain’t.

There’s no reason to believe that either of those examples is an eggcorn as opposed to a pun or a misspelling, unless you can explain how the meaning of “sandwedges” would make sense as a substitute for “sandwiches”. Both the pronunciation similarity and the plausible meaning connection have to be present for eggcornicity. I can’t think of a plausible meaning connection. Would you like to propose one?

#5 2017-03-25 16:18:26

JChance

I don’t know how relevant this is, but when I worked at a gas station, the pre-packaged diagonally-cut sandwiches were listed as “wedges”.

#6 2017-03-25 18:48:44

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

JChance wrote:

I don’t know how relevant this is, but when I worked at a gas station, the pre-packaged diagonally-cut sandwiches were listed as “wedges”.

Hmmm…well, that suggests that “sandwedge” for “sandwich” could be an eggcorn for some people, if they have been exposed to that usage of the term “wedge”.

Board footer