Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2017-03-29 11:42:42

kem
Eggcornista

static quo << status quo

Went to a lecture yesterday by Anthropocene evangelist and hydrologist James Syvitski. At the session I heard someone refer to the “static quo.”

Plenty of evidence that “static quo” has replaced “status quo” in certain speech circles. There are lots of puns, of course (“The status quo is not the static quo!”), but many examples on the web appear to be cemented into standard vocabularies. Three of them:

A subsidy-published book on religion: “This ‘grasshopper mentality,’ was the primary reason ancient Israel could not live up to their potential. They got use to the static quo and let fear rule their lives.”

Book on the Pentagon published by Penguin: “[The military gained] a renewed sense of confidence and purpose exactly when it needed one, but the effect was not longlasting. The static quo of the Cold War was gone”

Essay in McSweeney’s ezine: “if I inspire even one of you to join me, we can start to change the static quo around here”

At the same lecture I also collected a small blidiom that David T might appreciate (when he is not too busy accepting 15-pound awards). The speaker used the interjective adverb “by far and large,” a combo of “by far” and “by and large.”

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#2 2017-03-29 12:44:25

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: static quo << status quo

Good one. Kind of like the stasis quo. About 40 raw hits, though some of those must be intentional.

Far from a radical or reactionary response to the stasis quo, this movement was taken up by the federal government in 1996, leading the National Institute of Justice, under sponsorship of the US Dept. of Justice, to host a website on resorative justice.
Family Justice book

It was the ambassadors of the stasis quo that were the ones who attacked my research out of hand.
The turbulent world of decoy collection

In French, status quo is pronounced as statue quo.

#3 2017-03-30 11:34:40

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

I do like statue quo. Here’s another simbling:

If you don’t love something, you’re not going to go the extra mile, work the extra weekend, challenge the status quote as much.

and

They do not like Hillary Clinton because she is part of the staters quote.

#4 2017-03-30 19:59:38

David Bird
Eggcornista

She is part of the “staters”. Stays quo veers anglo-saxon – kind of. Stay is apparently an interesting blend of Latin and Germanic roots, and thus apt for this forum.

Farrakhan says “Donald Trump is his own man and a threat to the stays quo”.
U-tube

Leaders dismiss the stays quo and disrupt mediocrity
twitter

The stays quo cannot be changed unless it is challenged.
twitter

The way forward, change the stays quo, results are more valuable!
fb

Last edited by David Bird (2017-03-30 20:00:39)

#5 2017-03-31 16:47:49

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Hey, all, sorry for the general absence, but it’s probably not going to be cured completely anytime soon. Just wanted to mention that I’d collected “by far and away” back before Google; now I find it is listed in some dictionaries, e.g. . Interesting discussion here; I’m not the only one finding it odd.

“Buying large” is another old favorite of mine: my son did a politically incorrect drawing of an obese individual or three in front of Big Lotz, Oversized and similar storefronts.

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2017-03-31 16:49:16)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

Board footer