Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2017-04-08 12:40:45

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

lesson < lessen

I’d have sworn this was already in the forum or database somewhere, but didn’t find it the normal way.

I hold myself back, hoping to somehow lesson the blow that I know I will receive

it had the potential to lesson some of Charles’ annual income. … It occurs to me that such an event will lesson the tensions

Her introspection lessoned as she focused on her sister’s future

Thomas hoped rather than believed that the attachment might lesson upon further acquaintance.

She attempted to lesson her nervousness by teasing William. … My maid brought me some blackberry tea—it often helps to lesson the pain somewhat … a tall, spindly, and rather elderly man whose vanity prevented him from wearing the spectacles that would have lessoned his extreme near-sightedness.

Correcting Pluto’s classification as a Kuiper Belt Object does nothing to lesson Clyde Tombaugh’s discovery.

As a couple of the examples above indicate, repetitive use by the same author seems to indicate this being standard.

In at least some contexts, the idea of schooling whatever is lessoned into submission, thereby reducing its intensity, may work in some people’s minds to justify this.

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#2 2017-04-12 12:02:11

kem
Eggcornista

Re: lesson < lessen

The verbal use of “lesson” was more common a few hundred years ago. Today it is well-nigh extinct. I suspect that almost all the cases of “lesson” in place of “lessen” in recent decades are simple misspellings.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#3 2017-04-12 13:34:51

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: lesson < lessen

I suspect you’re right.

‘Ten hours the first day,’ said the Mock Turtle: ‘nine the next, and so on.’

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

Board footer