Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2017-04-12 14:15:30

AnnieB

Shine away for shy away; acclaimed for claimed

From a YouTube video by Factnomenal, “YouTube channel on the word’s most interesting, crazy, and unbelievable facts!”:

“He mostly shines away from the spotlight . . .”

There’s even a kind of logic to this, when you think about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWAM06v91P0, 0:0:45. The voice over is clearly scripted, not just ad lib. And in case you weren’t sure you heard it right, there are subtitles right on the screen.

More from the same video:
”(Kirsten Dunst) has acclaimed such Hollywood success that her brother prefers to stay out of the limelight.” 0:02:02.

The video kept getting worse, so I stopped watching.

#2 2017-04-12 14:31:48

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: Shine away for shy away; acclaimed for claimed

Explicate the logic you see for us. (Without it, a malapropism doesn’t have much claim to be an eggcorn.)

Acclaim < claim is a kind of converse of claim for acclaim . But again, without a rationale for the substitution, it isn’t at all clearly an eggcorn.

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#3 2017-04-12 19:21:32

David Bird
Eggcornista

Acclaimed such success” is not a simple malaprop, is it? It’s a kind of blendoid with meaning bleed. Not an eggcorn, but deserves a place in the bin of reproductive vegetables.

I do like shine away from. It has clearly changed the imagery of the original. It’s not exactly clear what the new meaning is, though. To perform without seeking credit, maybe. Avoid drawing attention to, sometimes.

PLEASE DO NOT BE SHINED AWAY FROM THIS, WE ARE NOT A STORE OR ESTATE SALE COMPANY WITH RIDICULOUS PRICES.
estate sales blurb

Richard Sherman who has never shined away from the spotlight has been the news recently after signing his contract extension this offseason
sports gossip

He also put up consistent numbers, and never shined away from the spotlight
sports blog

While the story was interested and reigned true, I wanted more out of Imogene’s character, and thought the movie shined away from it too much at times.
Harsh movie review

The last one does reign true.

#4 2017-04-13 11:19:07

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

David Bird wrote:

I do like shine away from. It has clearly changed the imagery of the original. It’s not exactly clear what the new meaning is, though.

About 40 years ago it was common in some circles to use the term “shine [him/her/you/me/them] on” to mean ignoring someone. So there could, in some cases, be a connection between that term and “shine away from”, in the sense of ignoring or evading someone or something.

And welcome to the Eggcorn Forum, AnnieB!

Board footer