Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2017-05-28 04:55:17

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

"down syndrome"

I recently encountered this:

No one will ever come lumbering in with their hands out and head down like a drunken bear with down syndrome.
martial arts discussion

The lack of capitalization makes me wonder if some people don’t know that the term “Down Syndrome” is from someone’s name. Is this what they call an Aunty Lehmann? Perhaps the perps are thinking in terms of someone’s IQ being “down” relative to the average? Anyhow, I suppose it’d take a perp confession to be sure about this one [reaches for rubber hose and sodium pentathol].

#2 2017-05-30 01:59:18

JuanTwoThree
Eggcornista

Re: "down syndrome"

There are also a good many hits for “Dawn’s Syndrome”. The interesting part of this is that it follows that pattern of “Boy’s/Girl’s name + Law/Disease/etc” (eg Lorenzo’s disease, Sarah’s Law). It’s more of an up-to-date pattern than the one of “19th century Person’s Law/Syndrome/Disease”

The ’s was officially dropped in the 80s but I don’t think the change was widely noticed, especially not in speech, because of the s of Syndrome.

PS Whilst I don’t always like being told what to do, the suggestions made here about how best to speak and write about Down Syndrome are sound:

http://www.ndss.org/Down-Syndrome/Prefe … age-Guide/

On the plain in Spain where it mainly rains.

Board footer